Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 23:11 20 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Shocking insight into fake chips

Page 2 of 2    
rogerdw
Guru

Posted: 01:18pm 30 Dec 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks CaptainBoing, though I didn't really understand too much of it.  

The flash chips I fit are used to hold the firmware for various boards which are designed to be updated to new versions if necessary  ...  so I just load them with a version I've copied from a known good one and fit that.

When I return the boards they can reload whatever they require.
Cheers,  Roger

Haxby

Guru

Posted: 09:03am 13 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Well my "hcpl3120" optocoupler chips came in. This was my first ever order of any sort of chips from non-reputable sources, and was really an experiment to see what would rock up to my doorstep, if anything. These were from AliExpress. I ordered 60 of them.

I don't know if I should laugh or cry.

There was no static dissipative packaging. Just foam. As you can see it's a mish-mash of different versions of chips from who-knows-where. Some are visibly recycled from equipment. All have questionable markings. No manufacturer logos. Just the UL (RU) logo which is laughable.

I'll test a few to see if they work. Not holding my breath

It's amazing that this industry of dodgy components and recycled components even exists. Are there enough hobbyists and dodgy manufacturers around the world to fuel this line of work?

It must be on a pretty large scale to make a few dollars, but that implies that there is enough demand for the product. It just doesn't seem to make any sense to me.

BenandAmber
Guru

Posted: 10:43am 13 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The hy4008 is one of the 100 I ordered a few years ago

the 80 volt 360 amp 1.5 m ohm hy5608 is on the left in every picture

It is one of the 40 I ordered 3 weeks or so ago I ordered all they had in stock they now have more

They were a little bit more expensive than $1 us dollar 4008 but they were still really cheap

When I bought them the ad said it was going to take them months to get here

I don't think it even took a month but I can go back and look if it's important to somebody

I can also test them in any way someone would like me to they would just have to walk me through this test procedure

I do have a scope battery bank solar a crazy amount of components along with lots of test equipment set up in my back shed

Both came from the same store on aliexpress

The store is the one recommended by you guys Aztac or something

I never get it right I can look it up if someone doesn't no the one I am talking about

The hy4008 is just a touch shinier but the lighting is exaggerating it way more than it actually is in the one photo

I have no clue it's either one of these are fake or real

I do know that the hy4008 has gave me no problem

I have gave a few hy4008 to friends that would know and they have not complained about them

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask I should be on here a lot more often I have been the last few months

As always thank you for your time and especially thank you for your patience with me
be warned i am good parrot but Dumber than a box of rocks

Page 2 of 2    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024