Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 15:57 29 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : MPPT Charge Controller Innards

Revlac

Guru

Posted: 09:51am 03 Apr 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Had this PCM60X MPPT Charge Controller apart the other day for a bit of a checkup.....Well I wanted to have a look inside didn't I.

Its been working well but had a bit of a smell some times locked up in a cabinet in the hot shed, only recently connected a cooling fan to help out.
Firstly I could see on the heat sink some oily residue had run down, this was the silicon grease leaking/separating, must be the heat, never sen this before although it took years for this to happen.

Here is the inputs at the bottom of the controller, on the right is a pair of relays 12v/14v 70A, at least one of them can disconnect the unit from the battery under load without an issue, saw it in action the other day when it tripped with over voltage while charging (my setting were a bit high).

Just left of the relay is a SMD Capacitor board, double sided, don't ask me how many...I didn't,t bother to count the little buggers.

Now there is a pair of inductors, the lower one, the yellow wire I found it to be a little burnt, this was due to the spade terminal been a little loos where connected to the main board, why they didn't put in screw terminals I don't know, they have them at the top connection.
Repaired that and stuck a bit of shrink wrap over that to Finnish it off.

The 4 capacitors are 330uf 160v, just below them is 4 PNP transistors further right just out of sight is 4 mosfets, the row above them is the same just the other way round as its the 4 fets that can be seen above the capacitors.

Didn't have time to check any details on it, needed to get it back into service.

Anyone else have some pictures of the inside of their MPPT charge controllers? be interested to see some more.
Cheers Aaron
Off The Grid

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024