Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 03:33 28 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Power inverter help

dwyer
Guru

Posted: 12:02pm 06 Aug 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi
I am looking for two inverter 24 and 48 volts @ 240 volt first one is 24 volt inverter to run 8 Fluorecent light for my workshop 24 volt inverter with modified sine waves might not work on Fluorecent tubes lights as did prevous using 300 watt modified waves 12 volt and ever one tube won't work unless add 3.3 mf non polarised capacitor if this correct or best using pure sine waves appox 600 watts inverter and 48 volts pure sine waves 240 volts 2500 watt will be use for home use however looking at Ebay & Oztion overseas made like Taiwan and Hong kong have pure sine waves inverter with 12 months warranty as l am not sure about buying because risk if inverter fail after warranty expire if l am correct also l did miss out or outbids Aussie made inverter is best way to buy as parts are aviable here . At the momest still confuse over modified waves wont work in my shed light. Can anyone help to sort things out before l go do any shopping on inverter please as overseas seller's on ebay has different stories over inverter is strange or confuse me

Dwyer the bushman

Gill

Posted: 10:50am 10 Aug 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

G'day dwyer,
I'm by no means an expert in this area. My experience is limited to just a couple of inverters I've owned. My own main inverter has recently died and I am needing to buy a replacement too. 8 fluros if far more than the 2 I run. I find that going for more watts is the way to cope with the difficult to start items. 300 watts would be way to small for 8 x 38 watt fluro lights. I've never had a problem with fluros, I have no capacitors in them and have used a 1200 watt modified square wave(aka_ mod sine wave).

I hear there are good ones and bad ones from SE Asia but don't know brands. I think all of these are made to a price and are not intended to be repaired. At the price they're sold for you'd just replace them not fix them.
Our throw away society in action I guess.

I'll keep looking as I want one before the next wet season. Generator fuel is much to expensive.
was working fine... til the smoke got out.
Cheers Gill _Cairns, FNQ

AMUN-RA

Posted: 08:57pm 10 Aug 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

gill I have some IVT inverters 3000watt 12-24 I have used them for years and had no trouble and they can be repaired.
Every day the sun shines
& gravity sucks= free energy.

Gill

Posted: 10:43am 11 Aug 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Good recomendation there Mick,
I've googled up their Taiwan site for a look at the specs.
Are you selling them?
was working fine... til the smoke got out.
Cheers Gill _Cairns, FNQ

AMUN-RA

Posted: 08:46am 12 Aug 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

yes i have sold many of these units without problems I use onr myself as well
Every day the sun shines
& gravity sucks= free energy.

dwyer
Guru

Posted: 09:34am 12 Aug 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi everyone
Thank for your help and before l was abit of confuse and didnt know which way l go for 24 volts inverter modelfild or pure sine waves specially for my workshop and made batteries shelves on shed steel frame and the 6 deep cyles batteries are on shelves and ready to start soon as l get modelfild inverter at the right prices and Mick do you have one for sale 24 volts @ 600 to 1200 watts inverter let me know. Anyway l did brought 2x 300 watt @12 volt from aldi store sometime ago one of inverter fail for some reason cant remmber what however other spare inverter and did hook up on 8 fluros light didnt not work so l try one fluros same problem won't work but plug to 500 watts angle grinder and work well without using load same with 250 watt normal light is fine

dwyer the bushman is still scratching his head

grolly

Posted: 11:48am 12 Aug 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi dwyer, This one off eBay has been powering my house for the last 7 months, and apart from some chip creep, and a relay that wants to work its way out of its socket every now and again causing it to charge the batteries but not supply power to the ac side,all easy fixed, it has run well, it is also a charger, I have it set at 25 amp, but will go to 30 amp @48v

cost $1395 delivered to adelaide.

had one of those 24v 3500w "made for the military" lasted half a day, spat the dummy with a Weller 40w 240v soldering iron pluged in, lights go on but no power is there, pulled and replaced all 10 fuses, still no joy.

BTW, I have 4x4ft 38w fluro's running off the 48v inverter, condensers removed, with no problems.

Grolly
I have bought the farm...now I AM powering it...

dwyer
Guru

Posted: 12:11pm 12 Aug 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Golly
Many thank for your information as tomorrow l will try remove condensers and see what happen next and get back to you regard ian

Prof

Posted: 12:58pm 12 Aug 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Dwyer,
Basically, you get what you pay for - I have a Selectronic A41 (Australian) pure sine wave inverter (48 volt) which came with a life time guarantee and has been running faultlessly for many years. If you need to depend on such gear (i.e. a "wife time warranty"),don't expect it to be cheap with a short warranty. I expect mine to last for many years .$$$$$$

Prof
I know boats!!

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024