Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 17:31 28 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : DIY 12V CFL lamp

Dinges

Posted: 11:53pm 07 Aug 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

After I had to replace two 220V CFLs in the living room (installed on 13/1/2005; cost 3E/pce at the Aldi; didn't last more than 3.5 years. Grr...) I was left with 2 defect CFLs on the workbench. Gave it a quick go to try to repair them but alas.

Anyway... On that same bench was laying an old CCFL (cold-cathode FL) tube with inverter board, that was once taken out of an old broken flatbed-scanner. "That board is tiny", Dinges thought, "it *may* just fit inside the base of that CFL..."

After some judicious use of a file to round off the edges of the PCB it fitted. Soldered the 220V wires to the 12V inputs of the board, and soldered some extra red wires on the board to connect to the CFL bulb. Applied copious amounts of hotglue to make sure it all stayed in its place...

Closed it up again and gave it a test. Yep, works fine. Draws 0.31 A out of the 12V battery so about 3.5 W input power (it was originally a 7W CFL lamp). Plenty of light. Considering the price of 12V CFLs over here (they easily fetch 16-22 Euro per piece) not too bad for half an hour of work. It may not last as much as a real 12V CFL, but normally this particular one would have ended up in the trashbin. Now I can squeeze at least a few more hours of life out of it at 12V.

Still have to mark the bulb clearly as a 12V one. Wouldn't want to accidentally plug it into mains...

oztules

Guru

Posted: 07:37am 08 Aug 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Neat project.
I still think you should have fixed them first ... then done the conversion.

You know I like to see you suffer.

.........oztules
Village idiot...or... just another hack out of his depth

sPuDd

Posted: 10:58am 08 Aug 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I had a CFL fail a while back. Turned out to be a 680K
resistor had gone to about 800K. Seemed like a long shot
but replacing it fixed it. I think it was a startup resistor
similar to the way most SMPSU's get their initial startup
voltage. I put it back into use and its still going.

sPuDd..
It should work ...in theory

indexterslabor

Posted: 11:31am 08 Aug 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

i think thats awesome, but what do u think caused the dead of the original board??

Dinges

Posted: 05:08pm 08 Aug 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Oztules, you know, I had *two* defect CFLs. One to modify, but still have one left to repair. If I had had only one I would have probably done what you suggested... repair... then convert to 12V... For me it's not suffering, it's fun and games... Maybe I need professional help ?

Then again, seeing I'm not the only one who tries to repair a 3E CFL (thanks Spudd for the mental support ), why bother with the quacks...

I tested some components on the board, the electrolytic cap (first suspect) and semiconductors. None were obviously bad. Checked for bad solder joints and all were fine. By that time I was already planning to convert it to 12V so didn't pursue the repair much further. Interesting observation on the resistor that shifted in value. Such a small shift causing it to not work. Hm.

Dexter, no idea as to the cause of the defect. Your guess is as good as mine. Could be anything from ageing components going bad or shifting in value over time, bad solder joints, power spikes or brown-outs, or just plain bad karma.

Edit: site with lots of schematics of various CFLs and repair info: http://www.pavouk.org/hw/lamp/en_index.htmlEdited by Dinges 2008-08-10

sPuDd

Posted: 08:00am 11 Aug 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Had a look at the site you linked Dinges.
Dang, I was right, the resistor was a startup unit.
I did the old blame the caps & silicon, but it turned
out to be a simple resistor drift.

sPuDd..
It should work ...in theory

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024