Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 11:01 20 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Hot air soldering with light

Pete Locke

Posted: 05:24am 18 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Waiting for my hot air soldering station to arrive. Finally starting the upgrade to equipment to allow SMD for work. Only taken a decade :-).
While looking through YouTube for SMD soldering videos, I came across This item. This may be known to most, but I'd never thought of it. Had a 50w Hel. lamp in the shed, so gave it a crack. It works, and very well. Sunglasses are needed as advised in the video as it is indeed rather bright.
Cheers
Pete'.

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 06:09am 18 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have never seen that before, very interesting.
I avoid surface mount like the plague now I am retired, but sometimes its unavoidable.
this looks like a very practical low dollar solution.
Cheers,  Tony.

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 07:03am 18 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Very Interesting! I know those things get hot, I have put them in water tanks as heaters but I would have never guessed they could do that!
I wonder how it would work on larger Multi pin Components?

I'll go up the back and get a hand Full Of those H4 Bulbs and take them Home and give them a try. I wonder If something Like a magnifying glass lens set in front of the lamp would work to Focus the light and heat? Even if Mounted in a small glass jar with the curved glass may work.

Probably going to need welding glasses for using a setup like that.

Reminds me of a party Trick with some of my High powered camera Flashes.
Put them an inch away from a bit of paper or your arm and see the smoke come off from the fibers of the paper or the hairs on your arm when you do a full power dump.
I wouldn't try my big battery one on the arm, that would just cause a burn.

The on-camera flashes are OK and work well on paper when zoomed out which concentrates the light.

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 08:05am 18 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

You could point one at a solar panel and get over unity !!!!
(sorry Glenn).
Cheers,  Tony.

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 12:00pm 18 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Warpspeed said  You could point one at a solar panel and get over unity !!!!
(sorry Glenn).

I'll guarantee it's been tried!
Probably a YT clickbait vid on it somewhere too!

Pete Locke

Posted: 05:05am 19 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Only had an ex lighthouse 12v 60w lamp, so jerried up a tin foil reflector. Left a gap between the light and the foil, and proceeded to take a couple of bits off a dead fluro electronic ballast. Three good MOSFETS, an optocoupler, and for shirts and giggles a small cap. The main bits needed for a model engine glowplug driver. All survived. Took about a minute and a half to heat the board up enough, but they came right off, even though they had the glue treatment to hold them while being manufactured.

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 04:58pm 25 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

blimey!

makes sense but never thought about it.

Good find  

BenandAmber
Guru

Posted: 12:13pm 04 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I tried it I have a bulb still wired up
It is a h4

Didn't work for me but I probably didn't give it long enough

I will have to try it again

Have you seen the sand trick for soldering
all at once

Or the solder pot for removing goodies off of old boards quickly and easily
Edited 2020-07-04 22:19 by BenandAmber
be warned i am good parrot but Dumber than a box of rocks

Poppy

Guru

Posted: 02:49pm 13 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Great idea!

But I am wondering if this non-focused heat could harm the desoldered components.

An air-gun works more exactly.

Edited 2020-07-14 00:50 by Poppy
Andre ... such a GURU?

Pete Locke

Posted: 07:48pm 13 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi BenandAmber.
It does take a minute or thereabouts to heat the joint enough to melt the solder. Quite different from a normal soldering iron. The whole board needs to heat, so slowly moving the lamp around the area of interest is needed to do this. The last board I desoldered with this method was an LED strip. The type used in a fitting that replaces fluorescent light units. This required heating the under side of the board rather than the top where the LED chips are, due to the chips having a heat sink in the middle which is soldered to the board. I'm still learning the technique with this, but it works well as my hot air station still isn't here. Ali Express is a great place, as long as you aren't in a hurry :-).

As you can see, the board will get toasted if too much heat is concentrated too quickly. But all the LED chips survived. Bright little suckers as well at 30mA.

Hi Andre.
Yes, a hot air gun would allow better direction of heat, but I'm still waiting for mine to turn up. This exercise was simply to see how well a light bulb would work as demonstrated in the YouTube video. 60 watts seems more than enough for the task.

Cheers
Pete'.
Edited 2020-07-14 05:55 by Pete Locke

Poppy

Guru

Posted: 08:24pm 13 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Pete Locke said  

Hi Andre.
Yes, a hot air gun would allow better direction of heat, but I'm still waiting for mine to turn up. This exercise was simply to see how well a light bulb would work as demonstrated in the YouTube video. 60 watts seems more than enough for the task.

Cheers
Pete'.

Hi Pete,

I still think this is a very interesting way, probably it just needs a little more elaboration for perfection ... or it simply depends on the quality of the bulb´s reflector for focusing in direction.

Great that you generally proved it!

Cheerio
Andre
Andre ... such a GURU?

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024