Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 16:32 29 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Opinions on this little grid-tie inverter

Page 2 of 2    
GWatPE

Posted: 05:36am 08 Mar 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It is possible to overload the wiring, if enough units were plugged into the same power cct.

eg if you had 3.6kW of inverters plugged in, then the 15A fuse would still hold. If at this time, you placed 3.6kW load on then all would still be OK. If the load was still increased, then parts of the wiring would become overloaded, but the fuse would still be OK. It would not be until the load was increased to above 7.2kW that enough current would pass the fuse for it to blow. Parts of the wiring would by then pose a fire risk.

It does not help to fuse the individual GTI's.

I see it this way. The GTI's should be on a separate fused power cct. No loads should be connected between the GTI's and the main grid feed cct fuse. I am not up on the wiring rule for this, but a separate cct for the GTI would be expected from the main fuse board.

Gordon.
become more energy aware

KarlJ

Guru

Posted: 09:42am 08 Mar 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

and thats exactly what the rules say....
they also say you cant connect this type of thing in the first place!

I think if you were running say more than 1KW of these things you'd be NUTS, as at this level, you have invested enough money in panels etc to easily justify spending the money on a certified inverter and having it legit.

300W or a couple of 160W panels up against the side of the shed is a fairly different proposition than a 3KW system.

This would be a little bending of the rules but you would get away with it safely and 300W is only 1.2A or so and isnt going to set fire to the place.

Neilomac had the most power boards and double adapters I had ever seen when I visited there!!
all draining though.....
Luck favours the well prepared

Page 2 of 2    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024