Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 23:24 27 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Fixing my F&P washer.

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 08:32am 21 Aug 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

OK, an odd question for the forums, but I figured with all the F&P know how here I might get an answer.

Today I picked up a F&P Smartdrive model GW701-U for free. My own washing machine ( a Simpson ) has been playing up for some months now, and I'm not having much luck fixing it. So I figured if I could fix the F&P washer, I could retire the Simpson, and if I couldn't fix the F&P, then I have another Smartdrive motor for a future windmill project.

Closer inspection of the F&P revealed a 80 series motor in perfect condition, no signs of corrosion. But the control board had a blown fuse. Closer inspection showed the power supply section had blown, and I wasnt too keen on replacing those surface mount IC's. I did happen to have another control board from a junked F&P, same model as far as I can tell. I plugged it in and the LEDs light up when I powered it up. I could set up the wash cycle, but when I press Start, all the LEDs go out except for the Spin cycle LED, and it beeps at me until I turn the power off.
I searched the net to find out how to go into diagnostic mode ( Power and Water Temp down buttons together ), and I could turn on/off the water solenoids and water pump, they all worked. Also the tilt and lid switches are working.
What I dont know is how to read any error codes, and if I did, what they mean?
Does anyone have access to the fault finding info? It would be nice to get this thing working, make up for all its brothers that were ripped apart to build windmills!

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 10:49am 21 Aug 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

A bit more research. It looks like I'm getting error 9 (0001001), which I think is a size error. This means the control board I've used isnt set up for this size machine. It knows this becuase there are little pins that poke into the button panel to tell the board what chassis its been fitted to. It knows its in a differnt chassis, so it needs to be told its a 7kg machine. I'm yet to find the proceedure for doing this, it looks like every model has a different sequence of button presses.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 11:12am 21 Aug 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I fixed it

I found out the reset code was ...
Hold down "Start"
Press "Power"
release Start and then Power.
Power off.

That fixed it. Its now washing a couple of socks. Sounds a lot different to my old Simpson. Its good to see a F&P smartdrive working in its natural environment and not stuck up a pole in the cold wind.

Cant wait for the spin cycle

Glenn

JAQ

fillm

Guru

Posted: 11:34am 21 Aug 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Well done Glenn,
If the spin cycle lacks a bit of GO , I can put together a quad mod for you that should get the F&P spining at " Warp Speed "
PhillM ...Oz Wind Engineering..Wind Turbine Kits 500W - 5000W ~ F&P Dual Kits ~ GOE222Blades- Voltage Control Parts ------- Tower kits

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 12:06pm 21 Aug 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yeah thanks Phill, I'll keep that in mind

The socks survived the spin cycle intact, both were still there at the end of the wash, which is a little unusual for socks. At the start of the spin it sounded just like my windmill! Then it really took off, holy cow those smartdrives can go fast.

Glenn
JAQ

FandPwithPVC

Posted: 09:09am 24 Aug 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

HI Glen
Having fixed and sold many F and P s I have found a simple way to determine and overcome blown fuses. Firstly a very good going over with the smell test will possibly show the fault visually.Then with new fuses connect only the mother board to 240 volts. If it blows a fuse it is the Toroid Transformer which only has four solder joints .Replace it with another as they are very common . If the fuse does not blow it means the fault is outside the board . This very basic and it works for me Regards Dennis L

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024