Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 08:20 27 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : chinese inverter board from aliexpress?

mab1

Posted: 09:07pm 05 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello all,

I've been running a 24v powerjack LF8000 for a few years now and even though it's still working fine I'd quite like to have some sort of backup/upgrade to hand just in case. Also if I had an alternate inverter I could improve the PJ without losing my power (reducing idle current and combining its two 1KVA torroids into a single TX for eg).

I've been reading about the  Ozinverter and the Warpinverter, and whilst I like the idea of building one or the other I've got too many projects on the go as it is and so the chinese boards such as this appeal to me:

3500w 24v

or possibly the 5000w version - which is similar to one that was posted on here, possibly in Ben & Ambers chinese inverter link (NB I've chosen ones that I think include totem pole drivers.

I appreciate I still have to put together a suitable transformer, series inductor and a capacitor 'tuned' to resonate with the TX at ~75Hz, And I think I have to modify the EGS002 board (As Poida described in Ben&Amber's post - although I haven't grasped why TBH).

But if I may ask the experts a few silly questions:

Are these chinese boards pretty robust?

Are there any disadvantages to them c.f. say the Ozinverter? (efficiency?)

I currently backfeed my PJ with a GTI or 2 - will the chinese boards cope with this? (I'm thinking they will).

The PJ is rated 8000w, 32000peak (actually more like 2000w given it's transformers); if I buy the above 3500w rated board I assume that's continuous rating and that it would cope with surges of 3 or 4*? or is that wildly optimistic?

cheers
Marcus
P.S Thanks for posting all your expertise in inverter engineering /development here - A fantastic resource!

noneyabussiness
Guru

Posted: 09:41pm 05 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

inverter board

Ive been running one of these for nearly a year, and pretty much anything ive thrown at it so far, it hasn't missed a beat.

2 caveats i should mention,  

1. Under Capped , ive added about 120000uf on input.

2. Check the board for cap rating. Mine had 16v caps everywhere,  yet the board itself said 25v. Not sure if critical but changed them anyways.

Neither too much issue, easily " fixed ".

Follow the directions from Poida, it bypasses the internal current limiter, which can be problematic if not done right,  but these have a ton of capacity,  so your standard breakers should suffice...

Mine goes into a oil cooled 5kw toroidal transformer ( understatement, its sat on 8kw for 2 solid hours without complaint,  on several occasions).
I think it works !!

mab1

Posted: 11:36pm 05 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thx for the heads up on checking the cap ratings - I like extra caps - I put an extra 100000uF on the PJ.

I can't imagine me running >3000w for any great length of time TBH - I don't think my old battery would cope - hence i was considering the smaller board.

I must have missed the explanation of Poidas Mod so i did wonder - i was thinking one of the trimmer pots would set overcurrent and could be turned down.

Just thought of another question: transformer voltage?
these boards seem to recommend 230:12 to 14; Oz inv (24v) I was thinking was 230:16ish? I do have a couple of Tx from 12v MSW inverters which are 230:10-0-10 but could be reconfigured 230:10(*2); would that work OK, or cause issues?

BenandAmber
Guru

Posted: 07:47pm 15 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I am currently building another inverter (farm inverter)

Most of these china boards will not back feed

I was told this about my bus inverter

But I think my farm inverter might

I haven't asked the experts yet

There are many other options if not

Sean at gentery solar will sell you a power Jack board (lots of videos on youtube)

Sean has his own line of inverters also
they use the power Jack main board

But him and EE Sid  built
a wifi board and control board that is not
not powerjack

It lowers idle current has way less components and fixes all the problems powerjack has

Of course it doesn't make your Transformer bigger but Sean's gentery solar inverter will do the rated wattage

The control board and wifi board will work on power Jack inverters as a upgrade

Or you could build poidas nano control board for powerjack main board

I have two I built and never programmed
If you go this route text me

There is a cad file made by the alsome Kentfild for power Jack short mosfet boards

It uses threw hole components and the large  247 style mosfets

The madness board has proven to be a good inverter also it will back feed (many people on here use it)

Ordering and receiving all the components was the hardest thing for me

The price of the components adds up but the Madness boards are more than fair priced!!

There is also a less known board I really like

Macoffgrid made a really nice board also

Caps can go on top or bottom

Mosfets are place where many different styles of heat sinks can be used

They can be linked together for what ever wattage needed

They can also be used with the best a worpspeed inverter

When I have to to build one from scratch I will be using macoffgrid boards

I like power Jack's boards Oz and lots of others have proven them good

They have lots of room and come with larger caps

The china boards have very little room for biger caps

You have to get creative or order expinsive sized caps

That is my biggest complaint along with the control board built on main board

Madness board fixes all that so don't wiseguys boards

I have beat these China boards to death only time I blowed one up was my fault

I didn't know what I thought I knew
put parts in wrong place

I have helped many friends build there inverters close to 20 including my own

None of them have had any problems

I did make sure to follow to a tee the advice of experts on here!!!!!

I have very little of my own wisdom on electrics

That shows anyone with a very basic knowledge of electronics can do it

That is if they humble there self and follows the advice of the experts

If there is anything I can do to help please let me know

Have a blessed day

I edited my post

I accidentally put WiseGuy orginally instead of mac off grid please excuse my mistake

I I realy like your boards mac!

Wiseguys came up with a fitting name for him self he is very wise!

Sorry again guys
Edited 2020-08-17 12:02 by BenandAmber
be warned i am good parrot but Dumber than a box of rocks

mab1

Posted: 09:22pm 18 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Ben & Amber,

Thanks for all that information on different board options. I've actually already ordered one of the chinese boards now - it's on the slow boat from china.

I had assumed it would accept backfeed alas - so if it won't then I may have to try and modify it to be more like the PJ boards - the obvious difference is the current feedback 'resistors', but I was guessing that if backfeeding was going to be an issue it would be to do with the control board - but that's a fairly standard looking EGS002 (separate board on the one I ordered) which i though would be OK for backfeeding. I guess i'll find out if I try backfeeding.

RE: caps on the china boards - with Noneyabusiness's comments in mind I chose a board which comes with larger caps (in size as well as uF) so even if they're not best quality, there should be room from some decent sized low esr replacements.

I was originally going to get clockmans Ozinverter boards and book, but I just haven't got much spare time at the moment - so I've gone down this route of pre-assembled inverter board. I also suspect the board from china costs less than all the components would if I have to buy them from RS or Farnel here in the UK.

cheers
M

noneyabussiness
Guru

Posted: 10:41pm 18 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

They will back feed from a OGI just fine, mine has about 6 kw of OGI on it for about 2 years without fault..
I think it works !!

mab1

Posted: 11:40pm 18 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ah good!

I've only got 1.1kw solar and 300w of hydro on gti's, everything else is direct to battery, so with a 24v 5000w rated board (24 * hy4008) it should be OK. I hope.

thanks for setting my mind at rest Noneya'

BenandAmber
Guru

Posted: 09:52am 29 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Oz stated at 48 volts and a fan hy4008 will do 2000 watts all day

I have 4 of them in a little China board and I beat it to death

Hopping one day it will fry so I can rebuild it

I followed the advice on here with all the modifications!!!

It starts big loads also I put ALOT BIGGER CAPs in it though

I am very happy with it

Nice to know they will back feed noneya!!

Have a blessed day
Edited 2020-08-29 19:54 by BenandAmber
be warned i am good parrot but Dumber than a box of rocks

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024