Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 03:44 28 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : AC vs. DC wiring, help!

adric22

Posted: 04:04pm 04 Sep 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Okay.. I've started a project at my home. I'm trying to get some ventilation to my attic and I have built some little vents to go around the eve of the house using 120mm fans. I'll probably have about 10 of these things.

These fans come in various voltages ranging from 12 VDC to 120 VAC. The ones I'm looking at consume about 5 watts of power one way or the other. I haven't decided which version to buy yet.

The thing is, I'd eventually like to run these from solar panels but they need to be able to run from AC power too. Which means I have two choices:

1) Use 12V fans and run then directly from solar part of the time, battery part of the time, the rest of the time use a transformer from the grid power.

2) Use 120V AC fans and run them from grid power directly, or from an inverter from the solar setup.

Which of these is the best scenario?

I'm also worried about voltage drop in the wires. The furthest fans will be at the end of about 50 to 60 feet of wire.

AMUN-RA

Posted: 09:28pm 04 Sep 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

these are great but dont know if you have anything like themhttp://www.edmonds.com.au/html/products/maestro_solar_po wered_ventilator_300mm.htm they can run of one panel or ac with transformer
MICK

Every day the sun shines
& gravity sucks= free energy.

adric22

Posted: 10:30pm 04 Sep 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

AMUN-RA said   these are great but dont know if you have anything like themhttp://www.edmonds.com.au/html/products/maestro_solar_po wered_ventilator_300mm.htm they can run of one panel or ac with transformer

Yes, we have these but they are very expensive. I'm building my fans myself for a fraction of the cost.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024