Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 22:29 28 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Comms between multiple PV Controllers

Solar Mike
Guru

Posted: 12:03pm 23 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I want to setup some sort of communications between PV chargers (slaves) and a master aggregator device or a controller acting as a master.

Purpose being to send common data to the PV chargers such as Charge settings, max charge current etc. Then allow interrogation of the slave devices for average charge current, voltages etc.

Thought up this simple circuit using inexpensive schmitt opto couplers to form essentially a 1-wire data bus. The master powers the bus and has a common pullup to 5v rail, its circuit is essentially same as the slaves. Up to 5 slave devices will be connected across the 3 wires, only 1 device talks at a time. Wire distance approx. 1 to 10 meters.

Seeking more ideas here, many bright sparks out there, the last time I built something like this used balanced lines and NRZ data 30 years ago.
Perhaps there is a chip that does this...

Cheers
Mike
Edited 2020-09-23 22:05 by Solar Mike

Solar Mike
Guru

Posted: 11:47am 24 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The schematic below, developed a year ago, is more complicated but has much greater hysteresis between low-high logic on the wire, so will probably continue with it.

Will write a custom bit-bang protocol for the data transmission, I don't want to use standard serial data as not all controllers have the 20X2\28X2 chips, so have limited internal receive buffers.

Thought using a pulse width modulation system where the width of the "On" period determines the data values.

Cheers
Mike

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024