Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 13:34 28 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : DC to DC

piercy007

Posted: 01:38pm 11 Sep 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have seen a few discussions around this subject as well as "suggesting" in another posting that I may invest in one for a motor of mines that was not outputting enough volts.

I have seen a few simple voltage increase/doublers but they all seemed to be either AC or just double the output voltage. I needed something to provide a consistent voltage at any RPM.

I have now tried one of these units and wished to share the experiance.

I am so glad I did

The problem I had was that my motors just would not put out enough at low speed to charge my battery. After much trawling around the tinternet I came across this little beautylittle beauty.

It works like a charm. Virtually any input can be converted to the required voltage (providing its under 60v) with a few turns of the screw. Even with a few hand turns I was able to generate 50+v !!

Has anybody else come across/used or perhaps built one or something similar? Would be keen if so as I would like to try and build one myself next time.
My middle name is luck mind you my first is bad!

GWatPE

Posted: 02:21pm 11 Sep 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Piercy,

the specifications for this unit are unbelievable. I would say that the input current is the limiting factor of 3A.

you have a unit. What sort of currents and voltages were you converting?

The unit presumably voltage regulates the output and current limits on the input. I doubt the 3A @ 65V output would be attained from a 3.5V input.

This would have some use as a boost cct. This would give some battery charging when a mill would normally be below cutin voltage. Just be aware that tuning of this type of unit to prevent the mill stalling may be required.

Gordon.

become more energy aware

piercy007

Posted: 02:30pm 11 Sep 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

GWatPE said  

What sort of currents and voltages were you converting?

Gordon

I was getting very differing results with my mill anything between 3/4v to 15 volts when testing on a drill. However on average it would put out in semi decent winds about 7v. Now it it producing even in a small breaze and low RPM.

GWatPE

Posted: 10:01pm 11 Sep 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi piercy,

Can I conclude that you are only able to measure volts. Is this windmill producing useful power? I do assume the amps are not zero, but could be close to it in low winds, unless the wind capture area was very large.

Gordon.

become more energy aware

CraziestOzzy

Posted: 03:56am 12 Sep 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I checked out the link of your little beauty...nice simple unit.
I assume it is the LM2577 -ADJ type you have?
The spec sheet (shown here) read down to half way of the spec sheet and it shows that the amperage is not that great, but of use for charging batteries?
Would be nice if you could throw in some results of amperage of your unit to wet our appetites
At the top of my head from memory, the LM2577 at about 3-4 volts DC input, produces under 900ma and 12 volts DC output. Could be wrong...the spec sheet data would confirm if I am right...still going through second cuppa coffee.
Using the mud-maps on that spec sheet, you could produce a "better" version than the one sold on Ebay...I think the LM1577 had better temperature ratings than the LM2577.Edited by CraziestOzzy 2008-09-13
http://cr4.globalspec.com/member?u=25757

http://www.instructables.com/member/OzzyRoo/

piercy007

Posted: 11:22am 15 Sep 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

GWatPE said   Hi piercy,

Can I conclude that you are only able to measure volts. Is this windmill producing useful power? I do assume the amps are not zero, but could be close to it in low winds, unless the wind capture area was very large.

Gordon.

Hi Gordon

I am hoping to yes after some testing. The mill has been down for some repairs (snapped wing!) and guess what - no decent wind since it has gone back up. Never mind it let me finish off the 12v light fo rmy garage.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024