Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 23:33 27 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Battery discharge

dazler

Posted: 03:03am 21 Sep 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi all,

My F&P windmill is charging my 12v battery through a solar regulator to 12.6 approx, but about a week later the battery drops back down to 12.1. The regulator sits on 2v on windmill side.

My question is; Is this volt drop normal in the battery, or should the windmill connect straight to the battery instead of through a solar regulator?
You can see this on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OmUUDX6BjQ

GWatPE

Posted: 03:25am 21 Sep 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

If you only charge the battery to 12.6, then the battery is not being charged properly anyway. Batteries will certainly have a short life if charged this way.

Has the battery voltage been above 13.8V?

Gordon.

become more energy aware

dazler

Posted: 03:34am 21 Sep 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

No Gordon, i keep using the power it makes, but if left alone it will not get much higher.
daz
ps: guys, put your F&Ps up on youtube so we can all see your mill.

Gill

Posted: 09:57am 21 Sep 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

daz,
What you've described sounds about right.
I'm afraid it's a waste of time going through a solar regulator. As you say you are using power at a rate that does not allow the battery to fully charge then I would not run any regulator at all. Just keep a voltmeter handy to check the battery from time to time especially when not drawing from the battery and in very windy weeks. If the battery does fully charge then shut down the mill until you use up a good bit of the power then restart the mill again.

But do use the solar regulator for solar panels ONLY. Should the battery charge up and the regulator cuts in there is a chance it will damage your mill. You are better off without it.

Sorry mate I refuse to go and see any youtube stuff. Without broadband it takes forever until I get fed up and close it down. If it's truly good or important a picture will always end up here.
was working fine... til the smoke got out.
Cheers Gill _Cairns, FNQ

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024