Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 16:39 24 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Up-to-Date Inverter Design

InPhase

Posted: 02:11pm 05 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I've decided to take a stab at one of the inverters the group here has developed. A nano type of about 3 kW @ 24 VDC, I figure. But before I commit, I'll beg the group's opinion and advice. For this project, the battery bank will be 210 AH @ 24 V.

Spec:

24 VDC Input
120/240 VAC Output
2-3 kW Continuous
18 degree C Ambient over the year. Never more than 40.

What I have on-hand and plan to use, until better can be procured, is a battery bank, and a totally potted and enclosed 3 kVA 240/120 V : 32/16 V transformer, what an electrician would typically connect as an autotransformer to slightly raise of lower the line voltage into spec. "Buck/boost". I know it will be less efficient than a toroid, but it will do for now(?). Assorted basic electronic parts in not-too-shabby quantity, including various flavors of analog ICs and digital logic. Tools, o-scope, skills.

I have read for many weeks through the various threads and watched the evolution and iterative updates of some of these builds. For fear of finding a flawed or old design using search, I will ask: what is the up-to-date cutting edge of the Nanoverter software and power board design?

Any other insight and suggestions (besides "Spend more money..") also appreciated.

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 08:30pm 05 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

If you have a 32v transformer that is potted, and you cannot change the turns, the minimum dc voltage that can be used will be 32v x 1.414 or 45 volts.

If only half the primary is used, it will work down to 23.6v but at only half rated power or 1.5 Kva.
Cheers,  Tony.

InPhase

Posted: 10:42pm 05 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Warpspeed said  If you have a 32v transformer that is potted, and you cannot change the turns, the minimum dc voltage that can be used will be 32v x 1.414 or 45 volts.

If only half the primary is used, it will work down to 23.6v but at only half rated power or 1.5 Kva.

There are really two primaries and two secondaries. They can be wired in series or parallel. It's like having two 120:16 transformers. I figured putting 24 volts on the two 16 volt coils wired in parallel would work, even if the output voltage drops as the battery drains. 120/240 is nominal but I don't have a single piece of equipment that would mind 110 or 108.

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 12:13am 06 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

InPhase said  
There are really two primaries and two secondaries.

Ah !  
Then you are definitely in luck.
Parallel up the two 16v primaries and it should work down to about 22.6v dc which is just about right for a 24v lead acid battery.
Cheers,  Tony.

InPhase

Posted: 01:22am 06 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Warpspeed said  Ah !  
Then you are definitely in luck.
Parallel up the two 16v primaries and it should work down to about 22.6v dc which is just about right for a 24v lead acid battery.

How big of a difference can I expect between this transformer and a toroidal? Besides a lower efficiency, will this transformer behave differently from a MOSFET driving point of view?

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 01:59am 06 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Highly likely that the no load idling power will be a fair bit higher than with a toroid.

You can check that by connecting one of the higher voltage windings of the transformer to a power outlet, and measure the current. That should be a pretty good indicator.

The mosfets could not care less, to them its just a load.
Cheers,  Tony.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024