Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 23:01 19 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Bodging an additional component onto a PCB

thwill

Guru

Posted: 07:44pm 22 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi folks,

I have a PCB that I want to bodge an additional through hole component to (a small terminal block). I drill two holes through the PCB but they both end up connected to ground, presumably because I've gone through a whopping ground-plane. Is there a trick to insulate one of the leads against this plane?

Tom
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

bob.steel

Posted: 09:00pm 23 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Make the hole big enough for a small piece of wire insulation to fit and push the insulation over the solder lug first ?
Edited 2021-01-24 07:02 by bob.steel

thwill

Guru

Posted: 10:55pm 23 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks. That was my first thought too, but there wasn't room to put it into practice. I'm honestly surprised this isn't a common problem. I guess most components that need bodging can just be soldered "dead bug" onto the PCB ... doesn't really work for a terminal block. Anyway I've just tacked a couple of flying leads on instead.

Best wishes,

Tom
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024