Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 15:21 24 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Studer brand inverter with no heatsink!

Haxby

Guru

Posted: 12:16am 22 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I thought this was interesting and worthy of a post.

This is a good quality Studer brand 48v inverter, 5kw continuous.

No heatsinks, just two banks of MOSFETs with 64 MOSFETs per bank! That's one way to do it.

Not sure but I think it would have a fan to cool them. The pic was taken from the web.

As I get ready to do load tests on my inverter, I'm trying to work out how hard to push my 75 amp rated IGBTs. It seems the thermal calculations for junction temperatures are easy up until a fan is used. The fan cooling can't really be quantified well, so I'll just do some temperature measurements as I go.

oreo

Posted: 12:32am 22 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I like it.  Very compact and if it blows up, all the fire is contained in a small space :)
Greg

Haxby

Guru

Posted: 07:19am 22 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

oreo said  like it.  Very compact and if it blows up, all the fire is contained in a small space :)

I like it too, I guess if it works that's the ultimate test.

Imagine having to change all 128 of them with $10 MOSFETs from Digi-Key!

BenandAmber
Guru

Posted: 05:58am 25 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Would all them mosfet have to be matched really good to turn on and off a the same time and a high amp mosfet driver needed to drive them all at the same voltage also

On pj inverters the more mosfets the lower the voltage gets down the line
be warned i am good parrot but Dumber than a box of rocks

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 08:25pm 14 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Many FET's in parallel gives a good efficiency, due to low resistive losses. But the gate drive power get's enormous. And if you cannot supply that power, your switching losses will counter all the gains in conduction loss.

Another thing to realize:
A non force cooled TO220 package easilly dissipates 0.5 watt without overheating. So 128 of these could dissipate 64 watt without a heat sink. That alone is 1.3% of the 5 kW.
Edited 2021-03-15 06:28 by Volhout
PicomiteVGA PETSCII ROBOTS

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 09:36pm 14 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Haxby said  I'm trying to work out how hard to push my 75 amp rated IGBTs. It seems the thermal calculations for junction temperatures are easy up until a fan is used. The fan cooling can't really be quantified well, so I'll just do some temperature measurements as I go.

A safe way to test an unknown heatsink (with or without a fan) is to bolt one of those gold aluminium metal clad resistors onto it, and test with dc.

Its then possible to work out the thermal resistance to ambient.
Cheers,  Tony.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024