Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 09:58 20 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : 8 Cell Balancing BMS

Solar Mike
Guru

Posted: 01:43am 10 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Currently splitting up an old lifepo4 battery bank into several 24v packs, the old 40AH cells are pretty much on the way out, 4 have started to swell markedly if left after charging; the rest 30 odd are probably at < 50% capacity.

Cannot really use them without a BMS as their capacities vary all over the place, the current BMS I published a while ago is a bit complex and requires several pcbs; so have designed this version which is a bit easier to make.

Spec: 8 cells, can vary between 2.5 - 12 volts each, balancing current 0.5 - several amps, using a switched floating isolated measuring circuit. Extender output allows expansion to more groups of 8 cells.

Just as I completed this, latest silicon chip has a nifty design using switching transformers for lossless balancing of 4 cells, not sure how much that it can be extended, wait for part 2 next month.

And those 4 bad cells, cannot find anywhere in Wellington to take for disposal or recycling, not sure what to do with them, may drill a 10mm hole in each and drop in a bucket of water for a week to make inert.

PCB top: 260 x 115mm

I dont have a schematic as yet as its very similar to previous designs.

Cheers
Mike

Solar Mike
Guru

Posted: 10:54am 11 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Update: Have cut and paste to clone an extender pcb, this allows multiples of 8 cells to be measured. Made some minor alterations to original at same time, still don't have a schematic for this, not even a pencil drawing, but have sent both sets of gerbers off today regardless; cannot see any errors... famous last words.

Extender 115 x 178:

Once I get it going will publish gerbers and software.

Cheers
Mike

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024