Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 00:13 27 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : using recovered solar inverters

brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 11:20pm 13 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello,

I thought I'd start (probably been done before), a topic on using recovered solar inverters .

At this stage, I'd be interested in the inverter side from 48 volt solar input ,not exporting to the grid ,.

Be interesting to hear from anybody that has the clues as to get them running for a 48 volt input supply. either using the home grid supply to power it or maybe bypass that supply if possible.

Bruce
Bushboy

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 04:14am 14 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

All the grid tie inverters I have seen, and know of, are for dc solar voltages well above 48 volts.

So your first problem will be rewinding the transformer for 48v input.

Second problem, all inverters use microprocessors these days, and the grid tie units simply will not work without sensing a mains connection.  So you can do is toss the big grid tie electronic circuit board straight into the wheelie bin.

What you are left with is a metal box, a big heat sink, and a transformer that needs to be rewound.  Those parts are an ideal starting point for building an Oz inverter from scratch.

Sorry, but there is no quick tweak to make a 200 volts (or higher) grid tie inverter work in a 48 volt system without a TOTAL rebuild.
Cheers,  Tony.

brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 06:40am 14 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

OK,

thanks for explaining the facts, I and Aaron are building my inverter , so had a thought of any possibility of using parts .  We are nearly finished  ,I've made the steel box ,wound the Torodial, and choke, Aaron has bought the boards, so we are on the home straight.

Just a thought ??? ,

thanks Tony.

Bruce
Bushboy

Haxby

Guru

Posted: 08:32am 14 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Not sure if you know that after you build the ozinverter, you can use a working grid tie inverter to feed power back into the batteries?

The ozinverter "creates" the grid that the GTI sits on and the power flows back through the ozinverter to the batteries.

You then need a way of turning off the GTI when the battery is full.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024