Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 07:07 28 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : DC-DC Converter

BUGS

Posted: 10:49pm 21 Oct 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi All, 98% efficiency.Take a look. http://www.globalfinest.com/tech/SplitPi/

Regards Ivan
BUGS

GWatPE

Posted: 09:00am 22 Oct 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi bugs,

Almost 20 years ago, another bloke and I tried to market a device we called a bi-directional DC-DC transformer. This was identical in principle to the unit that you provided a link to. We have since parted ways. It is possible that he has since, managed to commercially realize the idea without my knowledge. I see the unit is described as patented. It would be interesting to know what date was used in the patent application. I have a lot of documentation and proof of my bi-directional DC-DC transformer, even though I could not afford to patent. I am not sure exactly how patents work. I never achieved a commercial success. I thought you have to prove novelty before you can get a patent. I doubt someone else has sat on this idea for as long as I have. I still have the original working concept model and some smaller units that I use as Hi-Fi Audio amps. I doubt the unit operates at the 400kHz switching frequency that mine do. I achieved 95% efficiency. The efficiency at a lower switching frequency, 20kHz was > 99%.

It should be noted that any H-bridge drive type inverter can be used to perform this same function without the AC transformer. A lot of grid connect inverters could have this functionality with some minor changes to the drive signals and some simple input and output filters.

The high efficiency stems from the DC coupling of the input and output and the small inductors involved and the low on state resistance of modern mosfets.

This cct concept I had seen as the solution to many everyday power conversion applications. There is no problem flyback voltage as the devices actively snub any inductor ringing. In my working unit I had 50V devices operating on a 50V rail. There was no problem seen across the full power range from 0-300W in my case. I did see the converter used as a universal plugpac. The inherant low impedance nature of the cct operation allows stable operation without feedback. Precise voltages would require some regulation feedback though.

It is good to finally see a commercial unit. I was once told by engineers at Philips in Holland that this type of cct was not possible.

I could probably post some pics of mine for a comparison. If the units have current limiting and voltage protection, I see no reason they would not perform as claimed. I will be attempting to contact the company by email.

The input output voltage program function is pretty easy to impliment. I use a term sliding window. The ON/OFF ratio of the devices directly controls the input output voltage ratio, at all loads. A lot of the regulation problems with open ended regulators with a fixed pulsewidth and variable loads disappear.

The old apprentice joke of being asked by the boss to buy a DC transformer can finally be put to rest, as you can now buy one.

The boost/buck cct concept that I mentioned on the MPPT thread is this same cct.

Gordon.
become more energy aware

sPuDd

Posted: 10:23am 22 Oct 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Definitely has a future. It would want some serious protection
on both ends in case it decides to go the wrong way one day.

sPuDd..

It should work ...in theory

GWatPE

Posted: 05:08am 23 Oct 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi sPuDd,

I see that the Green Energy company who make the Split-Pi converter are nominated for an ELECTRA industry award for the converter. I hope they get it. I was not able to commercially realize my design, but it is great to know that essentially the same design I was working on and perfected so long ago has been patented and produced commercially and anyone can now buy one.

It will be interesting to see if I am contacted by the company from the UK.

Gordon.
become more energy aware

BUGS

Posted: 09:34pm 24 Oct 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

This one is from a forum mate in Alaska.I think he sells
kits too.?LOOK HERE Ivan

P.S. This young man is a very cleaver fellow.Take a look
on the site.OUPOWER(AlaskaStar)
BUGS

davef
Guru

Posted: 03:39am 27 Oct 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

So, with this controller one is allowed to get 10 times the energy out of a lead-acid battery. I would have thought most electric cars would utilise the power in a lead-acid battery system much better than this guy seems to suggest.

I would need a knowledgeable explanation before proceeding.

dwyer
Guru

Posted: 05:24am 27 Oct 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi BUGS
I think they over charge the batteries to release the gas as l need a knowledgeable some kind of explanation befoe l go ahead

Dwyer the bushman

oztules

Guru

Posted: 05:51am 27 Oct 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Dwyer,
with claims like this "This means that an electric car that can go 200 miles before recharging, can now go 2,000 miles before recharging. "

I think it is safe to keep your money in your pocket. .. there is no rational explanation able to cover that sort of wishful thinking.

However, if I was doing some wishful thinking, it would be likely along the lines of "I dream of Jeannie" style of thing.... and.. she could wish up some free fuel as well.

...........oztules
Village idiot...or... just another hack out of his depth

BUGS

Posted: 10:16am 27 Oct 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Dwyer,
I sent him an email for info on the controller,may have wait a bit for the dog sleds to deliver the message.
As AlaskaStar holds patents on hydrogen production,maybe its something to do with the hydrogen ions in the battery. Regards Ivan
BUGS

dwyer
Guru

Posted: 01:02pm 27 Oct 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

BUG
What i was thinking is over charge the batteries and gas are release to filling tank and fed to small engine to charge the batteries at the same time and got more miles out is a bit complicated however l might got wrong ideas maybe not as when i was young lad maybe around 1960 l did play around by charging homemade batteries in Mum's kichen and can't remmber what i put in the water and stuff from mum's cupboard also had chemical kits brought from toys shop as dont see anymore these ever safety glasses or mask was not aviable at the time so after fews night experiment one night got alot of gas coming from glass jar and 12 volt model train DC transfomer was use for charging was very toxic fumes and light colour blue flame comming out from other jar's funnel for approx several mins while 12 volt charger only had 1 amp output. now it long time ago

dwyer the bushman

GWatPE

Posted: 10:19pm 18 Nov 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Bugs,

The greenenergy company has finally responded to an email I sent them.

It seems that a patent has been granted to the Split-Pi system in 2002, with a prior date of 2001, that is essentially the same as a design a mate and I had perfected as an audio amp in 1992. They have asked me to supply details of my recent designs. Don't think so!

At least the company does exist and does reply to contact. The Split-Pi converter sales seem to be directed at the small EV and Ebike. Typical H-bridge motor controllers with regenerative braking perform a similar function. I think a similar principle is used in inverter chargers and grid connect inverters. I have not worked out the novel component in this patent.

Gordon.

become more energy aware

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024