Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 09:37 28 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : interchangeable switch

asvin bahadur

Posted: 10:53am 24 Oct 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

hi there,

i have two power source (AC)one coming from the local supplier of electricity which is use daily and the other is from my solar panels which i intend to use occasionally (i.e when my battery is fully charged).

i am looking for a switch that can be connected to the circuit breaker and that will allowed me to shift on one power source to the next easily and quickly.

someone mentioned that i will require an interchageable switch. i have no idea if he is right or not. please advise. many thanks
Edited by asvin bahadur 2008-10-25
asvin.b

Gill

Posted: 11:22am 24 Oct 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

G'day asvin.b,
This is a common circuit and is fitted to most boats.
This allows either on-board generator power or shore power to run the vessel whilst in port.
I have seen two methods used for this switching, One is a multi pole switch(Actives, Neutral, Earth) and the other employs a lighter duty switch operating contactors.
Again all wires were switched.

I assume your battery supply provides AC at the same voltage as the mains supply and this is via an inverter?

A 2 pole switch could be used but this is work for an electrician (or suitably qualified person) as Earth and Neutral connections can pose issues where earth leakage is fitted. I understand there may be different inverter connections between earth and neutral in different parts of the world. Best let your local trades person assess your exact needs is my thoughts.Edited by Gill 2008-10-25
was working fine... til the smoke got out.
Cheers Gill _Cairns, FNQ

asvin bahadur

Posted: 11:35am 24 Oct 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

hi, thanks for the quick reply, i really appreciate it.

So what i need to look for is an interchangeable switch with a 2 pol switch. huummm do you think i can buy this online?
thanks

asvin.b

asvin.b

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024