Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 04:13 29 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Why Not Turn A Tesla Into A Wind Turbine/PV Charging System?

Kamak

Posted: 05:29pm 14 May 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Aside from the most obvious problems, the cost, the difficulty, the torque required. lol...everything is there to make this existing package a great weatherproofed and ruggedized entire electrical system for either or both a wind turbine and solar system. The charging controller for the PV system and the wind-powered back-driven drivetrain (from the wheel hub) (in regenerative mode, ie braking) are there, the cooling system, and not to mention, in the least, the beautiful "large" battery pack itself. It would be a massive turbine required, I'm sure. Maybe another vehicle would be better suited for the job. A crash recovered Tesla Wind Turbine/PV System. I love it. It wouldn't even know it wasn't a car any longer. lol. It would just think it was plugged in getting charged while rolling down a hill all day long. You could even use the electric motor/generator to kick start the turbine for a shot startup, to break the inertial forces. I guess we'd have to fool it a little. But it would be the easiest life it ever had, post-conversion.

Understanding the 2018 Tesla Model S Power Electronics
Edited 2021-05-16 01:44 by Kamak

BenandAmber
Guru

Posted: 06:47pm 17 May 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

That is very interesting I think I heard somewhere that regenerative braking is only around 50% though
be warned i am good parrot but Dumber than a box of rocks

Kamak

Posted: 07:39pm 17 May 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

BenandAmber said  That is very interesting I think I heard somewhere that regenerative braking is only around 50% though

But 50% of what, though? 50% of the equivalent energy that got the vehicle to the speed where it started to brake? 50% of the wattage equivalency, stored in the car's kinetic energy, at that given speed? And does it really matter that it is only 50%? 50% is better than 0%, considering that it is no longer a car. but a PV/WT power converter/charging system. I don't really know, myself. But it sure would be fun to investigate it and build it.

BenandAmber
Guru

Posted: 05:48pm 18 May 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes it would and you are likely right

Kamak

Posted: 07:02pm 18 May 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

BenandAmber said  Yes it would and you are likely right

Maybe we can spark someone's interest that has the resources and means to take on the challenge. Maybe Adam Savage or Elon himself might like to try it out. What better way to promote end-to-end green, than to take a green product and repurpose it into something greener. lol. Up-cycling.

BenandAmber
Guru

Posted: 05:17am 27 May 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

they are cheap ones out there if you can find and get into a auction you may be very suprized how little a flooded or crashed on goes for!!!!

Kamak

Posted: 04:13pm 27 May 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yup, there are, but, I couldn't really see this becoming a "thing" so to speak unless a company or a sponsored team took on the project of testing it out. I believe it would be a massive turbine alone, that would be needed to backdrive that transaxle, in "aggressive regen mode" That's the highest regenerative setting for teslas. I believe the project would also benefit from Tesla itself sanctioning the research and development. I think it would be in Tesla's best interest to support such an "upcycling" project, as he/they support such green renewable endeavors. It would give new life to existing prooven old tech.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024