Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 15:03 16 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Gluing SMD components to PCBs

thwill

Guru

Posted: 11:59am 04 Jun 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi folks,

Can anyone advise me on what glue would be suitable (or unsuitable) for mechanically attaching SMD components to the empty areas of a PCB before I electrically connect them to the actual printed circuit with flying leads.

The use case is adding an SMD push button and micro-SD enclosure to a Pico board.

Best wishes,

Tom
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

Solar Mike
Guru

Posted: 12:11am 05 Jun 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Well you can glue them upside down so the pads are exposed, any instant gel type adhesive will work, use a pin to place a tiny amount and hold down with tweezers for a few seconds.

I have used a Verowire pen in the past see Link  to run fine wires everywhere on prototypes.

Cheers
Mike

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 05:53am 05 Jun 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Tom,

Sorry, I have almost, but not quite, given up on the electronics section as it is 90%+ on inverters of one sort or another of which I have only a fleeting interest of.

Some options are thin double sided tape, dab or superglue or small dab of epoxy glue.

With things like the SD connector be careful as most of these need to be totally flat to the board and soldered down to allow the card to slip in and be held tightly to the connectors..

Using glue underneath could foul up the connectors and maybe even impair the card from being inserted correctly.. I would buy one of the cheap SD card adapters that come on a small PCB substrate and then glue that down onto your board.

Something like this, with the pins removed if they are an issue.

Kind Regards,

Mick
Mick's uMite Stuff can be found >>> HERE (Kindly hosted by Dontronics) <<<

thwill

Guru

Posted: 07:01am 05 Jun 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@SolarMike, thanks but I'm not sure an upside down push button or for that matter SD card enclosure is going to work out . I keep meaning to get myself a verowire pen but instead make do with tweezers and a reel of copper wire with solderable insulation ... though I think calling it solderable is a joke, awkward stuff to work with and I end up with a blackened mess or duff connection more often than I would like.

@BigMik, thanks for the input. As it happens I have some of exactly the board you pictured coming on the slow boat from China.

Best wishes,

Tom

phil99

Guru

Posted: 07:21am 05 Jun 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Volhout managed to do it. see here:-
https://www.thebackshed.com/forum/ViewTopic.php?TID=13849&P=2#169857

thwill

Guru

Posted: 07:31am 05 Jun 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

phil99 said  Volhout managed to do it. see here:-
https://www.thebackshed.com/forum/ViewTopic.php?TID=13849&P=2#169857

Yes, but I was trying to avoid hijacking that thread on the firmware by adding a question about glue

Best wishes,

Tom

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024