Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 02:44 28 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Cop(per) out. Aluminium in, new FP stator

Wind Hunter

Posted: 08:20am 21 Nov 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi all,

Newbie here. I have been studying this fantastic site for a few months now. My initial intention is to make a Lenz2 type HAWT (out of stainless steel). Ribs have been laser cut and foil to be rolled next week.

Today I finally took possession of my first F&P 36 pole motor. ($0.00)

I am on a roll, or so I thought!

I have been reliably informed that this particular new 36 pole F&P stator no longer uses copper wire, aluminium is used instead, WTF. This will probably not be a worry for me as it would appear from various postings on this site that the factory wiring is OK for a slow windmill. It will be interesting to find out what additional losses are associated with Al vs Cu.

The problem will arise if one was interested in doing a re-wire. Aluminium is none too easy to solder! .

I may have to scrap the stator and use the 48 magnet hub in a cogless re-wire job, or completely re-wire the stator.

I shall post pictures of my SS Lenz2 as it progresses.

P.S. My 'reliable source' is the Sydney Service Manager of F&P.

Hunter Valley NSW.
Life is too short to drink cheap wine .

brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 08:26pm 21 Nov 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Interesting,, they built the early small motors with Al windings(gentle Annie,I think they got as a nickname).. I have a couple and years ago re-configured the windings ,but up in the air ,they are too coggy..
The wire connections were almost impossible,F&P used sealed crimps.. to copper tails.

keep us posted with a pic or two,please

Bruce
Bushboy

Wind Hunter

Posted: 09:14pm 21 Nov 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Lesson 1 - Never trust management.

My curiosity got the better of me this morning. Pulled the bugger apart, scraped away the varnish and lo and behold, copper wire.
Project back on track.

Thanks for the bit of history Bruce!

Tony

Hunter Valley NSW.
Life is too short to drink cheap wine .

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024