Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 21:44 29 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Use of 3 phase meters for 3 ciruits instead?

Technophiliac

Posted: 08:17am 19 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hope this is in right enough forum....and not too stupid a question.

Is there any reason 3 phase meters can not instead be used to measure 3 circuits off a single phase - that is feed the same phase in to all 3 phases and run 3 circuits off each "phase" for metering of each circuit? Not sure if sync or phase angle is a common measured parameter, if so rather than 120 degrees it would be 0!
Davo, Wellington. You can have it perfect, on time, and at the best price. Choose any two.

phil99

Guru

Posted: 11:17am 19 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It depends on the model. Basic units are often just 3 volt meters and 3 ammeters in one package, so they should be ok. Others also measure frequency, power factor for each phase and phase sequence. They may also have alarm outputs for any / all the above when above / below limits. The manufactures data sheets should have the answer.

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 12:45pm 19 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

There are some pretty Cheap KWH meters On EAliGood.

I'd say the older the meter the better chance you have especially if it's an old Spinny Analogue type.

I have an old house power meter I use which is very handy for showing current direction when Playing with Induction generators so you know where the power is going and setting speeds etc.

phil99

Guru

Posted: 11:18pm 19 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

"if it's an old Spinny Analogue type"

A single phase one is ideal for such things. I use one too, but a 3 phase one is unlikely to work properly on single phase as the disc is the rotor of a modified induction motor and the the phase differences matter.

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 01:42am 20 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

There is a good possibility this will work, but I cannot see what the advantage would be over using just a single wattmeter ?
Cheers,  Tony.

Technophiliac

Posted: 07:46am 20 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Warpspeed said  There is a good possibility this will work, but I cannot see what the advantage would be over using just a single watt meter ?

Will a single watt meter report on 3 circuits contemporaneously? Also some may be limited to 10 amps?  Of course 3 watt meters with adequate power capacity could be used. 3 mountings and likely larger form factor resulting.

There are 3 phase chint meters with RS-485 outputs which was what I was looking at.

I was contemplating logging three circuits all from the one phase, maybe with an arduino, if I can get a working interface.
Davo, Wellington. You can have it perfect, on time, and at the best price. Choose any two.

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 08:47am 20 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

A three phase wattmeter measures total power for all three phases combined, you don't get a separate power reading for each individual phase.

If you have a three phase circuit, and you are billing someone, all you want to know is TOTAL power used, and that is what you get.

If you want to log thee or more individual circuits you will need an individual wattmeter for each individual circuit.
Cheers,  Tony.

phil99

Guru

Posted: 11:55am 20 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The original post doesn't indicate what is to be measured. If it is energy then as Warpspeed says, a regular kW-Hour meter just gives the total. If it is power then a suitable electronic panel meter for a switchboard can be found. There are more types than you can poke a stick at.

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 12:11am 21 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

My own three phase smart meter just indicates total Kwh for all three phases combined, and the direction of power flow.

The power utility could not care less what proportion of the total was drawn from each individual phase.
Cheers,  Tony.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024