Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 22:57 24 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : so what's the furthest you've done a radio link with fleabay modules?

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 08:03am 29 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quite an interesting read.

https://www.theregister.com/2021/11/24/lora_to_the_moon/

and, largely unrelated but a face-palm, this was linked from that article... https://www.theregister.com/2021/02/19/airspeeder_alauda_drone_investigation_with_photos/

the pictures of the quality of work are shocking.
Edited 2021-11-29 18:14 by CaptainBoing

Pete Locke

Posted: 06:06am 30 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

A great read thank's.

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 11:27pm 02 Dec 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Pictures are truly staggering - erk....  

Those prototyping boards should only ever be used to prove a concept on the bench IMHO.  Most of the prototype things I build, I still design an "A" variant PCB for them, then fix anything I find wrong in the "B" variant.  Point is, I get a professional PCB made even when I am prototyping anything.

I don't think I would be comfortable designing wireless links for a drone though, cos as this case has shown, one bad bit of design COULD potentially put commercial aircraft at risk - that could have ended REALLY BADLY if it strayed into the path of an aircraft....yikes....

In addition to the kill-switch, I would have liked to have seen at least some kind of altimeter kill-switch thing, so if you lost all wireless control, and it happened to climb higher then a certain height, the altimeter thing would kill the power, and the drone would fall out of the sky - but not be able to climb up into the habitat of the commercial aircraft.

But then, I would not be doing drone controls anyway!
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024