Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 00:45 28 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Run Time Error 17

valterra

Posted: 04:59pm 26 Dec 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

When using the Piclog software on an old windows 95 machine, I keep getting a run time error: File / Path access error.

Any ideas?

I can supply more info if necessary.

SparWeb

Posted: 05:02am 08 Jan 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Came across this question only now.
Have you solved it yet?

Piclog is trying to write a data file every 10 seconds or so. It writes a text file, an Excel file, and a html file each time. The files are in the piclog's file tree somewhere, but there are "special characters" in the path: "C:\PicLog_Ver_1-2", and the folder names are longer than 8 characters each, too.

Windows 95 was basically DOS v.6 with a clunky interface slapped upon it, a giant leap forward after Windows 3.11, which was DOS v5.5 with an even clunkier interface slapped on top. Somewhere along this process of seemingly random evolution, new characters were permitted in file and foler names, and they were allowed to be longer than 8 characters each. That might be your problem.

If you haven't fixed your problem yet (I first suggest installing XP, also known as DOS v7 with a somewhat streamlined interface) then let me know.
Steven T. Fahey

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 01:01pm 08 Jan 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I did look though my junk pile for a Win95 bootable HD, no luck. The earliest version I have is Win98, and the PicLog works fine with that.

Cant offer any idea's at all I'm afraid.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Gill

Posted: 12:53am 09 Jan 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I understand old computers do not have the processing speed, bus speeds, the ram or the storage capacity to suit the later operating systems yet can still more than adequately perform data collecting functions to name just a few. The older operating systems were tailored to that hardware.

I would check which version of Windows 95 you are running. It will have to be Version C. I can't recall now but it could be that versions 95, 95A, & 95B are 16 bit whereas version C is 32bit? The software will be 32bit.
I ran windows 98 Second Edition for many years and it could be streamlined to reduce HDD usage and suited older computers originally running Win 95.

So you must run Win 95C or later for the software to work.

It's good to see the old pluggers still doing useful work.

was working fine... til the smoke got out.
Cheers Gill _Cairns, FNQ

BjBlaster

Posted: 12:49am 29 Jan 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

All versions of win95 are 32bit, it's just that 95c had a newer kernel (as MS called it then) that supported more hardware and VB calls like script writing etc. I tried it on my ol' 486 DX running Win95c with SP1 for 95 and scripting update 5.5 and it runs fine. You will also need the VB6 runtime package if you haven't installed that already.

Cheers

Bj
Check out my projects here in:
Bj's Shed

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024