Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 20:11 26 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Are you being screwed over by your energy supplier ?

Page 2 of 2    
Clockmanfr

Guru

Posted: 05:58am 22 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Wiseguy,

I Much prefer and recommend this type of rotary change over switches as they are ON to OFF to ON.

Kruas & Naimer are the Rolls Royce of change over switches. The one in the photos below is 150amp at 240vac and yes it can actually handle that.

They are still made in IRELAND but are readily obtainable all over the World as used/ second hand. I have looked at other manufacturers of change over switches and nothing compares to Kruas & Naimer in Quality of build, its internal mechanisms are very well made. The actual ratings are true and even have a good excess percentage.

No 3 photo shows a Hybrid installation where certain circuits in a house can be switched in or out depending on available power.  The big one is 100 amp, then a 30 amp then the rest are 20amp.

No 4 and 5 photo shows a Rotary change over switch on an individual building.

Edited 2022-06-22 16:05 by Clockmanfr
Everything is possible, just give me time.

3 HughP's 3.7m Wind T's (14 years). 5kW PV on 3 Trackers, (10 yrs). 21kW PV AC coupled SH GTI's. OzInverter created Grid. 1300ah 48v.

wiseguy

Guru

Posted: 02:06am 23 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Clockman, thanks for the further information. I have been aware of and used KM switches for around 30+ years - mostly multi-gang switches - don't ever pull one of those apart and expect it to ever work again......

I have not used them much recently and I  was not aware of their range of high current switches though, but I would be confident of their quality and performance.  Your set-up is very impressive and neat there sure are a lot of switches, but that goes with the application/s I guess.

Having some sort of continuity of power during changeover from mains power to backup power would be nice. My wife is annoyed by having to set various clocks on microwave and oven etc. and happy wife happy life etc
If at first you dont succeed, I suggest you avoid sky diving....
Cheers Mike

Clockmanfr

Guru

Posted: 07:32pm 23 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The nice thing with Kruas & Naimer they can stand going through the off position real quick. Quick enough that the elctrical equipment PSU cap has suffecient for a brief milli second of nothing.

So clocks PC's electronic stuff just carries on.

Remember folks its the 50HZ, and you definetly need a brief off.  If not then you might get lucky but most of the time the HZ of one supply is never in sequence/phase of a independant supply. Results in a large BANG!!!!
Everything is possible, just give me time.

3 HughP's 3.7m Wind T's (14 years). 5kW PV on 3 Trackers, (10 yrs). 21kW PV AC coupled SH GTI's. OzInverter created Grid. 1300ah 48v.

poida

Guru

Posted: 10:20pm 23 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

changeover for my system is usually uneventful.

Occasionally the CO results in the secondary (street) input protection
breaker to pop, this is 25 Amps if I recall.
Nothing else shows any sign that the CO occurred apart from
the fish tank water filter pump which rattles a bit for a few seconds.

The timing of the CO may have some influence on if the breaker pops
since there is a chance it will happen just at the start of a fridge motor
startup. High current with inductive loading may be a bit rough for my system.

Since it's automatic, it happens at any damned time it chooses
based on the battery LV limit set in software.

here is yesterday's data showing street power, inverter DC input power (10% more than it's output) and charge power.
We can see the battery charge enough for the inv to start up.
Then it runs until the battery LV cutoff limit occurs.

it appears I need more panels - a lot more but this is mid winter in Melbourne..
wronger than a phone book full of wrong phone numbers

Page 2 of 2    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024