Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 21:25 07 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Piclog - Star/delta logic suggestion

domwild
Guru

Posted: 01:41am 19 Feb 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Friends,

My suggestion for a star/delta switching logic using pseudocode. Why pseudocode? Not everyone is a C/Java/Picaxe person and hopefully my indentation shows the begin/ends and even more important, my logic is correct!

The problem with the Picaxe is that we may run out of variables, so I am suggesting to use a bit for the first variable called STAR.

[code]
Logic:
Initialisation section:
star   =   on    ;;use a bit here

subroutine stardelta
if rpm > ?     ; change to delta on "high" rpm
   then star = off
        switch star to delta
        return

if rpm < ? ?    ;    "lower" rpm, back to star
   then star = on        present is delta, change
        switch delta to star
        return
end sub
[/code]
Problems:
1. Working out ? and ??; sufficient gap, has to have hysteresis, so we do not have hunting from star/delta/star.

2. We do not want to call this sub when there is no wind/rpm, we want to be in a sleep mode then.

Any suggestions? Or logic errors?
Edited by Gizmo 2009-02-20
Taxation as a means of achieving prosperity is like a man standing inside a bucket trying to lift himself up.

Winston Churchill

domwild
Guru

Posted: 01:44am 19 Feb 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

A TAB turns into &nbs p; confusers never cease to amaze me.
Taxation as a means of achieving prosperity is like a man standing inside a bucket trying to lift himself up.

Winston Churchill

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 01:54am 19 Feb 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I edited the post for you to help with the formating. The forum has a CODE /CODE option that "sort" of works.

If you ever run out of variables in a PicAxe, you can store data in the eeprom space. It means swapping data between the eeprom space and variables, and its slow. My charge controller uses the eeprom space to store the display text.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

GWatPE

Posted: 02:51am 19 Feb 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I cannot see how you would run out of variables in this application of a picaxe. I also cannot see why you would now switch windings to give a lower cutin when there are proven switchless ways to do it. Just a thought!

Gordon.
become more energy aware

domwild
Guru

Posted: 01:03pm 19 Feb 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Gordon,

Thanks for that. In Piclog we use the following variables:

RPM, VOLT, AMP, perhaps wind velocity, perhaps watts and perhaps maxima of Amps. Some of those cannot be byte-sized variables. Haven't we just run out of room with this list? Have not done any programming lately!

I always thought the idea behind star/delta switching was to get more Amps out of the system at higher wind speeds and therefore RPM. Is star/delta switching dead?

Winston Churchill

GWatPE

Posted: 01:22pm 19 Feb 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I would say in systems below 1kW that capacitors, as voltage multiplying functions, offer a better solution to optimizing windmill loading. It is very early days with this. Not many readers seem to have tried this yet. The winding effectively stays in the lowest resistance configuration that will provide output at the higher power levels. This is covered in other threads.

The picaxe has 7, 2byte variables. These can be any combination of words or bytes. There is provision for bits as well, but I have not needed flags as yet. I would not attempt to use the piclog to perform the star/delta switching, in addition to logging. Better to use a dedicated micro.

Gordon.
become more energy aware

domwild
Guru

Posted: 02:55am 20 Feb 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Glenn: Thanks for improving the looks of the code. Have not tried this option before.

Gordon: Thanks. I was not even thinking of logging, just the simple rpm, amp, volt and perhaps wind speed as suggested by Glenn with his simplest 08-driven setup. I do not know if Glenn called this scheme also "Piclog".
Without logging my scheme (star/delta) might be possible. But caps are certainly a more elegant solution and do not require six wires down the pipe.

Logging would still be possible via the RS232 interface followed by a temp. laptop to take the ASCII stream of rpm <comma> amp <comma>, etc. or similar.

Winston Churchill

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024