Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 17:50 29 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : AC Motor from a shredder machine

irishron40

Posted: 04:06am 30 Apr 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello everyone

I have a question about an AC moter from a fellowes  shredding machine.

It is from a FELLOWES 225Ci  shredder
This motor is normaly wired onto a circuit board , but as I dont have it or need it I need to hot wire it for my metal bending machine

from the windingsthere are 3 wires

red
black
yellow.

If I put 220VAC onto the red and black it does work , but if Disconnect the power and re power it again it changes direction.

I just wonder is this yellow wire for optional direction as I do know that it was possible to change direction when connected to circuit board.

Any advise welcome.

Thanks

Ron
Edited 2023-04-30 14:14 by irishron40

rogerdw
Guru

Posted: 04:52am 30 Apr 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It's a bit hard to read the label but doesn't it say 120V?

It also mentions a 50uf 300V capacitor, so I suspect that will help with the starting and direction.

Hopefully someone who's expert in motors will pipe up soon.  
Cheers,  Roger

irishron40

Posted: 05:03am 30 Apr 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

thank you rogerdw

This picture is not my actual motor

Mine is rated 220vac
I do need to be able to select direction

thank you

ron

Godoh
Guru

Posted: 05:14am 30 Apr 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The motor in the photo ( you said it was not your one) does not look like there is room for a starting switch.
So it either has an external starting switch that supplies power to the starting winding, in this case it is most likely the yellow wire.
There may also be an external capacitor that is wired in circuit with the starting winding to give it more torque.
My guess is that there are two capacitors in the machine it came from. One high capacitance ( around 150 to 250 microfarad) that is the starting capacitor. And one lower value ( around 10 to 15 microfarad) capacitor that is in circuit when the larger cap is switched out after it starts.
Pete

Godoh
Guru

Posted: 06:19am 30 Apr 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Try this.
Measure the resistance from the Yellow wire to the Red, and the Yellow wire to the Black.
It looks like one end of the starting winding is connected internally. Most likely to the Red.
So test from yellow and see what readings you get.
You should get something like 20 to 30 ohms through the winding but it may be less.

Lets say the winding is connected to the Red on one end and you get a resistance reading to the Yellow when testing.
Then connect a capacitor ( 10 uf motor run cap) to the yellow and to the Black. Connect the black and red to the mains and see if it starts then.

Pete

Madness

Guru

Posted: 10:57am 30 Apr 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It needs a capacitor, the label in the photo says 50uF.
There are only 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

phil99

Guru

Posted: 12:09pm 30 Apr 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The difficulty is the motor in question is 220V and the one in the photo is 120V, so the required cap. will be lower capacitance but higher voltage.

@irishron40 can you post a photo of the label on the one you have?

Just a guess but 20 to 30uF 440VAC is possible.

Edit.
So far the assumption has been that red and black go to active and neutral but there are no standard colours for motors built into equipment.
Measure the 3 resistances between the leads.

For a motor that is intended to run in one direction only:-
The lowest resistance is probably the main winding and connects to active and neutral. The capacitor will then connect between the two with the highest resistance.

For a reversible motor:-
The two windings will have the same resistance. The capacitor will connect between the two wires with the highest resistance. The neutral can connect to the remaining wire. The active can connect to either end of the capacitor. Clockwise if connected to one end, counter-clockwise if connected to the other end. The motor must not be spinning when reversing or momentum may override the effect of the capacitor.
Edited 2023-05-01 09:39 by phil99

irishron40

Posted: 10:16am 28 Jan 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

phil99 said  The difficulty is the motor in question is 220V and the one in the photo is 120V, so the required cap. will be lower capacitance but higher voltage.

@irishron40 can you post a photo of the label on the one you have?

Just a guess but 20 to 30uF 440VAC is possible.

Edit.
So far the assumption has been that red and black go to active and neutral but there are no standard colours for motors built into equipment.
Measure the 3 resistances between the leads.

For a motor that is intended to run in one direction only:-
The lowest resistance is probably the main winding and connects to active and neutral. The capacitor will then connect between the two with the highest resistance.

For a reversible motor:-
The two windings will have the same resistance. The capacitor will connect between the two wires with the highest resistance. The neutral can connect to the remaining wire. The active can connect to either end of the capacitor. Clockwise if connected to one end, counter-clockwise if connected to the other end. The motor must not be spinning when reversing or momentum may override the effect of the capacitor.

Thank you and sorry for late reply as my health took a bad turn.

I took some details.

motor is from a fellowes 225Ci   shredder
Motor is  240vac

The capacitor that came with it is 450VAC  / 14 uF

From motor 3 wires   ( Red . Black . Yellow)

resistance between :

red and black = 9.5 ohm
Yellow and red = 18.3 ohm
yellow and black = 27.6.

should I wired it this way?

many thanks

ron
Edited 2024-01-28 21:18 by irishron40

phil99

Guru

Posted: 11:35am 28 Jan 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Your drawing appears to be correct. The resistance values indicate reverse will deliver lower torque than forward but it should run.

Forward:-
Red to supply active
Black to supply neutral
Capacitor from black to yellow

Reverse:-
Red to supply active
Yellow to supply neutral

irishron40

Posted: 11:49am 28 Jan 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

phil99 said  Your drawing appears to be correct. The resistance values indicate reverse will deliver lower torque than forward but it should run.

Red to supply active
Black to supply neutral

Red to supply active
Yellow to supply neutral

Thank you Phil99

irishron40

Posted: 03:56am 04 Feb 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

irishron40 said  
  phil99 said  Your drawing appears to be correct. The resistance values indicate reverse will deliver lower torque than forward but it should run.

Red to supply active
Black to supply neutral

Red to supply active
Yellow to supply neutral

Thank you Phil99

Hi phil99 .

I have it working perfectly and am great full for the help I received .
just wondering is there a way to controll the speed on an AC motor?

thank you.

ron

phil99

Guru

Posted: 12:32pm 04 Feb 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

For an induction motor it depends on how much torque is needed at low speed. A fan needs very little torque at low speed so a simple Triac based speed control may work. It's essentially a light dimmer modified to work with an inductive load.
If more torque is needed a Variable Frequency Drive controller is needed. Much more complicated.
Triac speed control
Edited 2024-02-05 21:53 by phil99

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024