Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 08:50 08 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Parallel Capacitor Bank Fusing

CraziestOzzy

Posted: 07:05am 03 Mar 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I am considering the idea of protecting a capacitor bank I am making with a fuse for each capacitor. The idea is that should one capacitor fail (such as a short), nasty things don't happen to the other capacitors in the same bank.
I have seen on the WWW some wicked setups where the banks from DIY people are unprotected and storing ungodly amounts of energy. I have not been able to see any examples for low voltage applications where fuse protection is employed.
Anyone have working examples or links to other websites that use bus bars and fuse protection for parallel capacitor banks?
Cheers
http://cr4.globalspec.com/member?u=25757

http://www.instructables.com/member/OzzyRoo/

GWatPE

Posted: 08:11am 03 Mar 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The whole point of capacitors in a parallel cct arrangement is normally to reduce impedance. I doubt fusing will be effective for individual caps.

I think you are talking about super caps. Treat these the same as a battery, and fuse to protect the wiring.

I think you will find that fusing in this application will result in each individual fuse failing, as the caps that are left are required to provide more individual current to the load. This is like having a heap of batteries in parallel and fusing individually. The same thing will happen here. Eventually all the fuses will blow.

Gordon.
become more energy aware

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024