Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 21:02 26 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Toroidal resonance question

Murphy's friend

Guru

Posted: 06:08am 12 May 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Back in the days, Warpspeed recommended that we fit a capacitor to the secondary to resonate this at 75Hz. This was to suppress harmonic oscillations.

OK, the practical suggestion to do that was to use a sine wave oscillator and experiment with parallel capacitors to find the resonance point.

I find that very difficult to do as the resonant 'hump' is very shallow.

So it occurred to me there might be an easier way. I have a LC meter which lets me measure the secondary inductance (primary open).
This measured at 50 milli Henry's.

Now, using this onlinecalculator

I get a capacitor value of 90 uF.

Would this be correct, or did I do something wrong? That value is much higher than the value I thought I got by the sine oscillator method.

Thanks.

Murphy's friend

Guru

Posted: 06:25am 12 May 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

This forum does no let me edit so an update:

I made the mistake of not zeroing my LC meter so the toroid's secondary actually measures 80 milli Henry.

The calculator gives me 56 uF for resonance at 75Hz. Still higher than I thought.

The LC meter is a JUNTEC Model LC-200A.

I find it very useful as it measures bigger values than the usual combo meters.

KeepIS

Guru

Posted: 06:25am 12 May 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Not trying to answer your question, but I get very sharpest and high resonance on the DSO. Just a 10k in series with gen output and a known cap value across the inductor or transformer, in may case 4.03uf mains cap, it is a really noticeable peak on the toriod transformers.

I know you understand all of that, and have tried it many times, but I'm wondering if the Generator output is being pulled down or something strange, I have never found a Toroid or choke that isn't as sharp as anything with a big peak at resonance.

I've got an inductance meter and will try with the calculator when I get a chance tomorrow, but LC meters are often not very accurate on big toriods that you are trying to resonate at 50 to 75 Hz.

Just noticed your last post, that meter may be better, I agree seems a bit high, but not by much. There was a marked shift with values as little as 1uf as I parallel adjusted caps for 75Hz.
Edited 2023-05-12 16:28 by KeepIS
It's all too hard.
Mike.

Murphy's friend

Guru

Posted: 06:34am 12 May 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Mike.
I originally tested this with a home built Wien bridge oscillator and a 35 year old CRO.

I just realised that my tiny, handheld, battery operated digital scope has a signal generator function, might try that too.

Sadly, I do not have all the testing gear I would like to have .

KeepIS

Guru

Posted: 07:47am 12 May 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have a silicon chip digital sine / square wave LF / HF signal generator with digital display. It was built by an electronics friend who passed away, you are welcome to it for the cost of postage, just thought I'd offer that in case your are interested.
It's all too hard.
Mike.

Murphy's friend

Guru

Posted: 08:39am 12 May 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

KeepIS said  I have a silicon chip digital sine / square wave LF / HF signal generator with digital display. It was built by an electronics friend who passed away, you are welcome to it for the cost of postage, just thought I'd offer that in case your are interested.

Thanks Mike, that would be very useful and a lot better than that ancient thing I built 50 years ago. My little hand held digital scope does not have an adjustable frequency output, just fixed steps too far apart.

I'll send you a PM with my email address so we can arrange postage.

KeepIS

Guru

Posted: 09:27am 12 May 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It's all too hard.
Mike.

InPhase

Posted: 12:30am 13 May 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I've been wondering about this as well. I don't think the inductance is a fixed value. Doesn't it depend on the frequency we are checking it at? I mean, the inductance at 75 Hz will be different than the inductance at 10 kHz, will it not?

I suggest that you can find the inductance by actually powering it with 50 Hz and measuring the current draw. The DC resistance of the wire can likely be ignored. The current through the coil will be V/2piFL. If you know V and F=50, then do some algebra to determine L. But then again, I'm quite dumb and could be waaaayyy off.

pd--

Posted: 07:09am 13 May 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ye but with the core materials we are using and the relatively small differences between our operating frequencies and testing frequencies it isent going to make much of a difference
if you look at the graph on page 16
https://publications.lib.chalmers.se/records/fulltext/183920/183920.pdf

if we are using an inductance tester that operates at 10khz and our inductor is going to operate at 20khz then we are in a very flat section of the curve and our inductance would drop by less than 1%

rustyrotors

Posted: 06:59pm 14 May 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

i just use headphone output from my laptop, volume cranked, with a 16 ohm resistor inline. connect it and an oscope across the primary. sweep the freq with a web based tone generator. output will be low, in the 10-100mV range

Madness

Guru

Posted: 08:37am 15 May 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

If you google pc function generator app there are many free apps that will do the job. I tried with a frequency meter it showed exactly the same hz as the app. If you want more voltage just use a audio amplifier.
There are only 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

analog8484

Posted: 07:09pm 24 May 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Murphy's friend said  

I made the mistake of not zeroing my LC meter so the toroid's secondary actually measures 80 milli Henry.

That seems to be off by an order of magnitude.  Was it measured at 100Hz?
Edited 2023-05-25 05:09 by analog8484

pd--

Posted: 10:38am 02 Jun 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I tried a couple of different LCR meters and could not get a sensible reading from them.

I then connected up my trusty little DSO-TC3 as a signal generator connected to the toroid via a 15k resisted " 10k or 15k or sumthing there abouts "
with my old cro connected directly across the toroid secondary with the capacitor

the peek is quite well defined i think the trick is the 10k resister.

i ended up at 4.4uf using a 0.22uf cap for the final couple of hertz trim.

Mi old mostly analog signal generator wondered around the place at low frequencies
and was not at all suitable . but the DSO-TC3 was rock stable and you can increment/decrement the HZ by 1
making it easy to spot the peek even on a 35 year old cro.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024