Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 03:06 08 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : datalogger project

RifRaf

Posted: 04:46am 05 Mar 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi all, have been away lost on other projects for a while now, but bumped into an old project this morning and wondering if anyone has any motivation to assist with completing it or maybe something else has been developed that means I can let it go. Is based on the PicLogger app though was rewritten in C for Atmel AVR. Have started to make a new GUI with Pyqt today but would like to dig out some hardware and play with windmills again after putting then away after a storm broke the pvc blades.

Link to projects and details AVR Data Logger

Someone that is familiar with C and python would be great to work with cause they are the skills i lack most. Can make all the hardware, electronics, pcbs etc and have prototypes to dig out if someone is interested in a project. Would be a good excuse for me to get these 2 old F&P mills back in action.

davef
Guru

Posted: 09:06pm 05 Mar 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I developed my own datalogger on the ATmega32 using a SD card interface (WinAVR)and TinyFS. I used the JEDmicro development board.

I also wrote a Python/TKinter GUI for very simple control of the AVR chip, a few years ago. I would update this to wxPyton . . . if I did it again.

Currently working on a web server version using PHP so that hopefully I could monitor and control things via the Internet.

Is PyQt similar to wxPython?

I also made some ATmega88 double-sided PTH dev boards. You are welcome to one or two boards, if you want.

Cheers,
davef   

davef
Guru

Posted: 09:14pm 05 Mar 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Had a quick look through one of your files and I don't understand your comment to the effect "lacking in C programming skills". Looks like you have a pretty good understanding!

davef
Guru

Posted: 09:28pm 05 Mar 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Email me at <dave_festing at hotmail dot com> if you want further information.

RifRaf

Posted: 12:13am 06 Mar 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

G'day dave, thanks for reply, have fought with C for a few years and not sure how i made that code but was with help from others am sure. I find it way too time consuming for the amount i get done, would much rather deal with the hardware side of it. Will email you as am interested to see the board you made, have just homebrewed the pcbs here so far, much prefer the hardware and mechanical side of things.

Not familiar with wxPython though after a quick google seems similar idea yep. PyQt's designer module is a simple way to create a GUI it seems that can be cross platform compatible, am still new to it and hopefully will know a bit more after this weekend. The actual python code is what i still need to learn better though.

Will dig out me datalogger stuff on weekend and see where its up to, did have some sort of internet control for projects but need to brush up memory

davef
Guru

Posted: 06:35am 06 Mar 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Your PCBs look much more complex then mine. Fortunately, I was able to get mine PTHed through my previous company. It is quite basic with PCB positions for RS232 and RS485 chips.

I saw the struct and the typedef struct in your code and thought this guy knows a fair bit. One comment on your functions set_time() and set_date(), I assume you meant to "fall-thru" on most of the case statements. As it is not "normal" to do that, a comment to the effect you wanted to makes your intention obvious.

I have made a lot of effort to abstract away as much as possible, in an effort to made main() read like a story-book. However, each system requires a lot of hand-crafting because everybody wants to do something different. I would like to work towards the point of someone needing to do as little as possible in main() and have libraries of hardware drivers that would do the real work. Unfortunately, you still need to be able to program in C!

Be interested in hearing what you did for internet control.

Cheers,
Dave

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024