Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 21:02 19 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Transformers

Pete Locke

Posted: 04:44am 23 Jun 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Howdy clever people.
A mains transformer query.
Had an old school drum machine dropped off for repair.  It's an Akai thing from the late 90's. Standard mains transformer with analogue supply. Problem was it saw 230v when the owner plugged the 120v unit in. Lucky, the only failure was the mains fuse. I offered to convert it to our 230v system, which the owner would like. No problem, I would normally grab a transformer from the pile and wind the needed secondary’s. However, this unit has an odd, very flat, and of course obsolete transformer, and no room to put a standard size replacement, or two smaller transformers for the required power. The fix for now is rewind one from the pile, and bung it in a separate box with a plug/socket to connect to the drum machine. I would like to rewind the original so the unit can be put back to normal. And so, the query.
Looking on line, and allowing for the difference between the 60Hz design, and converting it to 50Hz, has mixed answers. Varying from shouldn’t be a problem to it won’t last long, get hot, lower secondary voltages etc.
Can it be as simple as double the primary windings with half the thickness of wire, and add 17% (difference between 60 & 50Hz) to the turns counted unwinding the original primary?

Cheers
Pete' New Zealand.

phil99

Guru

Posted: 05:01am 23 Jun 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes, the textbook says that should work. If you are lucky it will just be a thermal cut out that has blown. Much easier to unwind and count the turns if it isn't an incinerated mess in there.

Godoh
Guru

Posted: 08:51am 23 Jun 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Maybe it would be easier to fit a switchmode supply in there rather than a transformer.
Or just use a 230 to 110 transformer to step down to suit what is in there.
Pete

Pete Locke

Posted: 08:38pm 23 Jun 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

phil99 said  Yes, the textbook says that should work. If you are lucky it will just be a thermal cut out that has blown. Much easier to unwind and count the turns if it isn't an incinerated mess in there.

Thanks for that Phil. That's this weekends project. The transformer is fine, and works with 110v, so no charcoal brick to dive through :-)
Cheers
Pete'.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024