Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 19:46 19 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : IR remote control vehicle

andymc70

Posted: 03:46am 01 Aug 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello All
I am trying to change an IR remote control vehicle kit that I can purchase. The issue is that the kits are for students at the college I teach at and the PCB in the kits is terrible (very cheap) and difficult for the students to solder. Also, I want to move away from the kit as student break parts and I have to then use a kit as a Xmas tree. I basically want to remake a new PCB and then be able to purchase individual components.

I understand most of the circuit except for IC chip not sure how that works or how you can have 6 different vehicles working at the same time, I understand the dip switch allows this but not sure how it does it.

I would really like to move to nano to do the same task but I am unsure if changing the frequency slightly would work.
If anyone could help me out that would be great, if this is in the wrong forum I am happy to move it.
Thanks
Andy

phil99

Guru

Posted: 08:33am 01 Aug 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The serial data packets start with an address code (set by the DIP switches) followed by the control code. The decoder only responds if it has the same the address set.

Edit.
Looked up the chip above, its a microcontroller so will need programming. That means programming software and hardware.
Dedicated IR Tx and Rx chips are available so no programming needed.

If the aim is to teach programming an Arduino Nano will easily do the job, if the students are at the level of its language.

The RP2040 Pico might be a better choice as MMBasic is much easier to learn and does not require installation of a huge software package to use it.
Edited 2023-08-01 22:50 by phil99

andymc70

Posted: 09:24am 06 Aug 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

phil99 said  The serial data packets start with an address code (set by the DIP switches) followed by the control code. The decoder only responds if it has the same address set.

Thanks, Phil, I think with what you have written I have a much better understanding and  I may have worked out a solution. Just have to try and write the code.
I going to look at the Attiny84 and put the code on them for the students.
Either code will be too difficult for the students. Ohms law is a struggle for most of them.
I am more familiar with Arduino code which I know Attiny can work with.
Thanks
Andy

wiseguy

Guru

Posted: 06:36am 07 Aug 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Andy please PM me re IR receivers and IR LEDs. Are you able to create the PCB yourself ?
If at first you dont succeed, I suggest you avoid sky diving....
Cheers Mike

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024