Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 05:32 08 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Jaycar in Mackay

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 03:30pm 27 Mar 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I'm a happy chappy.

Last Monday a new Jarcar outlet opened in Sydney St, Mackay, my home town.
I went in to have a look yesterday, its was like Christmas! Heaps of stock, everything from resistors to home entertainment systems. Test gear, kits, solar panels, tools, it was too much, the tears of joy were starting to blur my vision, I had to go.

I'm going back in a few days, cant wait.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Gill

Posted: 06:08pm 27 Mar 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Know that feeling. Same thing in Cairns when ours reopened under new management some time ago. With the 3 major country distributors located here, it is easy to see who leads the pack.

My pet hate is un-stocked & un-maintained component draws.

Shame they don't stock PICAXE.
was working fine... til the smoke got out.
Cheers Gill _Cairns, FNQ

Dinges

Posted: 08:08pm 27 Mar 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Fully understand your feelings, Glenn...

There used to be two electronics supplier stores nearby when I was in my early teens. Now there are none left. The nearest one is now 17km away but I don't do business with them; they fooled me one too many times. The next (and excellent) store is in a city 40km away. Staffed by an older lady (~65 years, I estimate) who owns the store. Till a few years ago her mother (!) also worked in that same store.

They have a lot of components. What they don't have they will order. And, best of all, they keep their promises and agreements. They'll go out of their way to get you that one particular 0.05$ resistor you need. But most of the time shopping there forms a much larger attack on my wallet. I cherish that store, there are few left and the ones that are left are rapidly disappearing. I dread the day she'll retire.

Once I remarked to her that 'every time I come in here, I feel like a little kid in a candy store'. She smiled gently. Later I noticed she used that remark in her advertizing...

BTW, had a discussion with an older radio-amateur friend a few years ago. He remarked he once had a big crush on her in his younger years and dated her for a while. He said he'd have married her, if it had been up to him. But it left me wondering why he would marry her... because of her, or because of her store...

If your Jaycar store will have knowledgeable, honest-dealing, customer-oriented staff, you will indeed be a lucky man.

Peter.

oztules

Guru

Posted: 10:57pm 27 Mar 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mumble mumble mumble....

.......oztules... having a sooky attack
Village idiot...or... just another hack out of his depth

GWatPE

Posted: 11:21pm 27 Mar 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi oztules,

there is mail order. There has to be some benefit living so far from the shops. The fresh air and other things you can't buy at the shop makes up for the all day round trips to peruse the shelves.

Gordon.

become more energy aware

sPuDd

Posted: 03:07am 29 Mar 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Sweet score Glenn !!

Like you and Gill, I went weak at the knees when the new Jaycar opened in Cairns. Between myself and 2 work mates here, we've spent ~$6k there in 12 months already.

sPuDd..Edited by sPuDd 2009-03-30
It should work ...in theory

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024