Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 22:56 07 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Changing from 12v to 24v

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 09:58pm 31 Mar 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

OK. I currently run a 12v system, consisting of 5 large batteries connected in parrallel. Its charged by two 80watt solar panels in parrallel with their own controller, and a windmill. The windmill is without a controller, since I get bugger all wind here most days, at least never enough to worry about it overcharging the batteries. My 12volt system powers a series of garden lights, a shop radio ( car radio ), and a 12v 600 watt inverter to power the shed lights and act as a emergency supply when the power goes out. I really dont use much of the systems capacity, the solar panels have fully charged the system by 10am every day and the controller switches off.

Now I would like to convert part of the system over to 24v. By using 24v, I can try Gordons cap conversion to my windmill, and have a more efficient system with less line loss.

So, whats the best way to make use of my existing gear. I can connect the solar panels in series to charge 24v, and reconfigure the windmill for 24v with caps and a 100S stator, but all my stuff runs on 12v. I did buy a 24v to 13.8v switchmode converter, 10amps max, 7 amps continous, so I was thinking I could use this to power my garden lights and radio, about 3 amps max. But to reconfigure my 5 batteries for 24v, I end up with one spare battery.

So, what if I use the spare battery as a 12v source, trickle charged by the 24 - 13.8 converter, from the other 4 batteries configured for 24v? Or, maybe I should connect 3 batteries in parallel for 12v, and 2 batteries in series for 24v, again using the converter as a continous trickle charger. 3 batteries in parallel should give enough capacity to run the 12v inverter. I would also use a regulator with the 23 - 13.8 converter to stop overcharging the 12v batteries.

This setup would be only used until I buy myself a 24v inverter. Workable?

Glenn   
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

GWatPE

Posted: 11:05pm 31 Mar 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Gizmo,

It sounds like you should keep 3 batteries in parallel for the 12V setup. You could wire the other 2 batteries with a switch system to convert these from a series to parallel arrangement for testing the windmill on 24V. The converter would be connected in 24V mode only. The windmill would not be damaged being switched back to 12V from 24V. This would allow you both options.

The 12V switch setting could be used for additional inverter capacity if the power was off.

Gordon.
become more energy aware

brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 11:52am 01 Apr 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Glenn,
I have a 24v and a 48v system ,but the 48v system is just sitting there waiting for further developements .

Only comment I would add here is the 240v inverter. If you have budget restraints, then most of the APC "smart" ups are around 1000 watts and are 24v input. They may use more standby and run power ,but if you can get 1 or 2 for free ,then why worry.
I've this system running now for many years ,powering the same as what you are . It's never failed,takes a couple seconds to manual start and will run forever ,if your demand is within it's capabilities and your 24v battery bank is large enough.

Most companies and whoever throw these perfect ups's out when the internal batts are crook, so keep an eye out for them at the dump,local computer tech,second hand shop ,etc.

I'm still working on Trev's "BIG' f/g blades and these will hopefully power a dual F&P for the 48v system through a gearbox,or pulley arrangement.

Cheers,

Bruce
Bushboy

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024