Home
JAQForum Ver 24.01
Active Topics
Local Time 15:32 27 Jul 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Builiding of a complete 6kW PV inverter with MPPT chargers

Page 9 of 9    
-dex-

Posted: 08:30am 04 Jul 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

If you look at it this way, it is actually 11T on CT. In the case of a choke, the excess can be easily rolled away.

-dex-

Posted: 12:53pm 26 Jul 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It's been a while since I posted anything in the thread about the construction of my inverter. Recently I have been doing something else, and the description of the structure is late compared to the current state.

I will come back to the battery and BMS.

I've previously written about the terrible lifepo4 startup failure and battery explosion. This made me afraid to touch the cells any further, everything was dismantled and put back in cardboard boxes.

I discovered that the short circuit was caused by incorrect compression, which resulted in damage to the blue insulation which short to the inverter casing. There were also no spacers between the cells and no BMS protection.

When the dust settled, I ordered some new cells - I actually have to buy them in multiples of 4, that's how they come in packs of 4 and Chinese sellers don't sell one. I put together a package of 16 cells again. I measured each cell's internal resistance, which is extremely low. Even the one that was damaged (go back to previous posts - melted battery terminal, damaged casing, electrolyte leak) had the same resistance and voltage as the other cells   !!! But I replaced it with a new cell anyway.

This time, everything is insulated: the bottom on which the cells sits, the sides of the pack, and each cell are separated with 1.5 mm thick plexiglass. This time I don't use any compression. The reason for the lack of compression will be discussed later.

I added further layers of protection: BMS with overcurrent protection for charging and discharging, voltage control and each cell separately, and an active 2A balancer. Moreover, in the middle of the series I placed an additional fuse with a value of 120A - if there was a short circuit at the battery terminal itself, it would burn out.

The BMS is configured via a smartphone application and connects via Bluetooth. It also has wired communication, which I would like to use in the future to present battery data, mainly battery's SoC, in my building automation system. I also have a large touchscreen display for it, placed next to the other LCD displays.

In the last photo you can see the resistance of the entire package thus cells and all connections between them, which is measured at the + and - output of the 51V battery. When you do the math, you'll see what a brutal force can it be  

Edited 2024-07-26 22:57 by -dex-

-dex-

Posted: 12:58pm 26 Jul 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Oh, I just realized how bad a some photos are. Sorry, I'm neither a good photographer nor a reporter  

In the photo where you can see the resistance meter and the battery pack, the resistance of the fuse is measured.

This is not a test involving short-circuiting the battery with a cable and a fuse!!!!!!          

In the last photo I am measuring at the battery output terminals, on the other side of the battery pack, which is not included in the photo.
Edited 2024-07-26 23:09 by -dex-

KeepIS

Guru

Posted: 10:55pm 26 Jul 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Great news on pack, fortunately mine came with fiberglass separator sheets, but what you have is great. The BMS should also help indicate if any terminal resistance loss creeps in under high loads over time.

I normally check the battery pack link bars with a resistive load of around 50A to verify each cell link, and recheck them a few times as the pack settles in.

I like the internal-R test Meter  
It's all too hard.
Mike.

KeepIS

Guru

Posted: 01:41am 27 Jul 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

FYI: Uploaded V7.3 with adjustable timed delay of restart ramp-up after a Low-Battery stop condition, see included "Latest changes.txt". Download
It's all too hard.
Mike.

Page 9 of 9    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024