Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 11:51 08 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : twin 36W fluro power useage

Page 2 of 2    
rgormley

Posted: 08:11am 19 Apr 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

ok just did some measurements with the $29 "power meter"

my twin 36Watt fluro batton measured PF=33 Amps=0.76 watts=fluctuating 62-65 watts

in the kitchen we have 3 philips tornado CFL 23 watts each (all 3 come togethrer with the switch)
PF=100 (1) Amps=0.22 watts=53 (stable)

ok so now i`m puzzled....
72 watts 1200mm fluros pull 760Ma
69 watts tornado`s CFL`s pull 220Ma
The wattage/lumen output (3 watt) is close to the same but the current is non proportial....??? huh???

oh and i tried the twin 36 fluros with and without the PF cap (supplied with the batton) made no diiference acording to the $29 power meter still showed as 33

so am i best to change the twin batton fluro lighting to the 3 x 23 watt philips tornado`s ???

Thanks...

oztules

Guru

Posted: 10:28am 19 Apr 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

If you are not generating the power yourself, but are buying it on the grid, then there is no real difference to your pocket.

The two current's (.22 and .76) you are trying to reconcile are apples and oranges..... without the pf figure, you can't compare them.. the cost of the .76A pf.33 is actually .25A that you pay for. The other 500ma which is out of phase with your load, is returned? to the grid.... or so the story goes. That 500ma is stored in a magnet field, which when it collapses through the inductance that caused it, generates the current that gets put back into the grid... out of phase with the voltage (it has long gone and now looks at starting the whole thing over again)

There will be some losses via resistance in the line and the inductance, so not all the current is returned to the grid, and they will lose some getting it too you as well. So for the grids sake, pf=1=good for everyone.

I have no idea why the supplied capacitor didn't change the amps. It should have affected it... if the ballast was a transformer.

If it were a modern electronic ballast, then an inductor would have been necessary, as the modern electronic ballast tends to be capacitive and store energy in an electric field, and generate positive VARs...

The modern pwm 50khz units also distort the waveform, which can't be easily compensated for (perhaps toss out the filter capacitors in the pwm, and put up with the 100hz flicker) It does this by rectifying the wave, and the capacitor is used as a filter cap. This leads to situation, where for the first (most) part of the wave, we don't use anything, as the cap voltage is above most of the wave, We then hammer the top of it.

Now if we want the same RMS, but only use a small part of the wave, you can imagine how hard we have to hit it to get the same power from a small part of the wave. We must generate these peak currents, or the whole thing won't work, and average voltage will sag....... not good.

I will assume an older transformer ballast but there's something odd here.

It should have given you leading (positive) VARs to compensate for your lagging load, it would then not have to import them from the grid, as you would be generating them locally, and the current should have dropped to 250ma in the line.

One day I will understand this stuff.... I hope.

If you generate your own power, then there is a high price to pay for using low pf devices.... even though the extra VA's are wattless, it still means you have to generate the higher currents and voltages albeit at different times, and you wont get to use them, you still have to generate and transmit them.

The harmonic distortion poor power factor (lumped in together with/ but not traditional power factor..phase angle stuff) is costly in rectified and smoothed devices too. Try charging a big battery bank off a generator driving a charger.... it ain't pretty.... see explanation above Re: pwm, same sort of thing, the battery acts as the filter capacitor.....and the rest is history...

You will need a bigger genny than you calculate.

........oztulesEdited by oztules 2009-04-20
Village idiot...or... just another hack out of his depth

GWatPE

Posted: 11:01am 19 Apr 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

oztules said   Try charging a big battery bank off a generator driving a charger.... it ain't pretty.

I saw this in action last week. Flat 30kWh 48V RE battery system. Kicked the genset in. Would give 75A charging current. System could handle it for about 4 mins out of 5. Took over a day to bring the battery up from 8%SOC to 98%SOC. Quite a bit of fossil fuel needed.

Gordon.
become more energy aware

Page 2 of 2    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024