Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 03:14 08 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Rosin-resin?

brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 11:27pm 12 Apr 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Years ago , we used to be able to get Rosin/resin(don't know the difference), to wipe over copper before or to help the solder flow..
Does anyone know of this stuff. I've been soldering a re-wire on the F&P stator and find it difficult to get that perfect solder wetting flow.. even though I'm particular in the enamel stripping process..

I'm using and have been for meny years ,the resin cored solder or the modern equivelant. It's good on some wires but fairly ordinary on others...

Thanks
Bruce
Bushboy

vasi

Guru

Posted: 01:55am 13 Apr 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Bruce,

Continue to use a resin cored solder but add some aspirin (and a proper iron solder)...
Hobbit name: Togo Toadfoot of Frogmorton
Elvish name: Mablung Miriel
Beyound Arduino Lang

brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 02:09am 13 Apr 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Vasi,, I took the asprin ,but it did nothing for my solder joints ,,,how many do I take ,,with water or milk ??

Thanks
Bruce
Bushboy

vasi

Guru

Posted: 02:16am 13 Apr 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

He, he, I mean it! Ask Glenn, it works! The aspirin is for iron solder!
Hobbit name: Togo Toadfoot of Frogmorton
Elvish name: Mablung Miriel
Beyound Arduino Lang

brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 02:51am 13 Apr 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Have a Happy Easter break,,ol mate ..

am in a happy mood,, cold ,wet, so can hide in the workshop -- re-wiring a stator ,,
Thanks for enjoying my sense of strange humor

Bruce

Bushboy

Dinges

Posted: 05:38am 13 Apr 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Know the stuff you mean, Bruce:

It's called 'Purine' over here, probably a local trademark though. I have a jar of I guess about 200-300 ml of it. The stuff isn't expensive either, but can make all the difference when soldering. The stuff I use is a grease-like substance though it comes in syringes too. Really handy when you have to solder or tin larger things where the flux inside the solder isn't enough for proper wetting. Of course, it's not a substitute for proper cleaning of the wires/joint...

I don't use it for soldering PCBs though, the flux inside the resin-core solder is usually plenty enough for that, plus I find that purine/solder flux does conduct some. Learned that the hard way... So if you use it when soldering PCBs, especially high-impedance circuits, it'd require very thorough cleaning. Keep in mind that there are also solder fluxes that contain acid (HCl), one well known product here is called 'S39'. avoid these acid-containing fluxes like the plague for anything but plumbing (though it's nowadays illegal to use the original S39 for that here too, but I understand they've changed the composition of S39 so it now no longer contains hydrochloric acid and is much less corrosive).

Just checked: I bought my jar of Purine on 22 feb. 2005 for E.3,50. And just noticed I don't have that much of it anymore... better get me a new jar soon. I usually refill a few smaller containers that I keep in the various toolcases and on the workdesk. Will probably fill a tube (as used for toothpaste; you can get them from a pharmacist) and a syringe as well, for easier dispensing.

I'd be handicapped if I didn't have that stuff anymore....

Flux paste/Purine is normally available in every hardware store over here, I'd be very surprized if something similar wouldn't be available in Australia too. Did you try googling for 'solder flux'? If you really can't get it over there anymore, let me know and I'll fill a film-container with the goo and send it your way.

Peter.

GWatPE

Posted: 08:31am 13 Apr 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Bruce,

I use a Multicore brand flux liquid for tinning. I have a mix that I made for tinning solar cells, that worked with Aluminium sputtered Solarex cells. I find that the right temperature, and high wattage iron solve most problems with heavier jobs. There is a tendency to wind the temp up on a small iron and this usually ends up burning the rosin and making joints difficult. I have even used a second iron when I neeeded more heat. You eventually run out of hands.

If you have the new Pb free solder, then you will need a slightly hotter iron as well.

Gordon.
become more energy aware

Tinker

Guru

Posted: 01:38pm 13 Apr 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

brucedownunder2 said   Years ago , we used to be able to get Rosin/resin(don't know the difference), to wipe over copper before or to help the solder flow..
Does anyone know of this stuff. I've been soldering a re-wire on the F&P stator and find it difficult to get that perfect solder wetting flow.. even though I'm particular in the enamel stripping process..

I'm using and have been for meny years ,the resin cored solder or the modern equivelant. It's good on some wires but fairly ordinary on others...

Thanks
Bruce

Bruce, you can get a solder flux pen from Jaycar. Its like a felt tipped pen but dispenses solder flux.
You still need to clean all the enamel coating off the wires I'm afraid, a small piece of emery cloth is what I use for that.
Good luck...
Klaus

brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 09:00pm 13 Apr 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thank 's to all of you ,,,,

for some reason yesterday ,I thought I'd try an 80 Watt iron in place of my 60Watt electronic one.. Well, Bingo, the 80 Watter, made all the difference, and I got perfect wetted and shiny flowing joints..
Must have been the thick electrical wiring bussbars (2.5mm) that were taking all the heat away from the 60 watter iron.

Funny how these elementary things escape us old farts.

Thanks to everyone, and I will get some of that "Flux-in-a-tin" ..

Bruce
Bushboy

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 10:20pm 13 Apr 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I can vouch for the asprin trick. Put a asprin tablet on a flat surface, position the wire/join on the tablet, apply pressure with a soldering iron and apply a little solder. Its smokes and stinks like buggery, but makes a very good flux.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

GWatPE

Posted: 10:37pm 13 Apr 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

GWatPE said  I find that the right temperature, and high wattage iron solve most problems with heavier jobs..

Glad to see you got it sorted Bruce.

The acid component of Acetyl-salicylic acid [Asprin] has similar properties to plumbers flux, different pH though. You should thoroughly remove the alternative fluxes with water. They keep disolving the copper, especially on a PCB.

Gordon.
become more energy aware

Dinges

Posted: 10:49pm 13 Apr 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Aspirin is acidic; wouldn't it corrode the wires over time?

Peter.

Edit: between me writing another reply, editing it away again and typing the above single-line response, it seems Gordon managed to push in his reply.... Guess we were worried about the same thing. Great minds thinking alike and stuff... Edited by Dinges 2009-04-15

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024