Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 02:24 09 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : ETI-084 Car Alarm...reborn...

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 01:59am 27 Apr 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi all.

The ETI-084 Car Alarm project from the ETI book "Project Electronics" is still pretty much my favourite simple car-alarm design.  I have used that design a few times back in the day, using the book's PCB layout, drawn out on blank copper PCB with the PCB pen and etching it at home.  

I needed one of these recently, so I redesigned the PCB.
Ahhhh, the good old 555 - still such a useful little chip!    

The "Project Electronics" book was published back in 1980(the 4th edition), and so therefore, this project is 44 years old, but still a very useful car alarm design!
Correctly installed, it is pretty much impossible to avoid setting off the alarm, as any kind of load on the car's electrical system, triggers the alarm.  It self-resets after about one minute, to comply with noise pollution rules.  It is very simple, but very effective!

As 44 years have passed since the official publication, I figure I am OK in posting this new PCB layout.

The circuit is exactly the same, just a different PCB layout and relay.
Please let me know if this still somehow - after 44 years - is still a copyright issue, and in which case, I can simply delete the thread.

For now, I will only post a photo of the working new PCB, but I won't post the Gerbers till I am happy that it is not a copyright issue to do so.  With so many years having passed, and ETI no longer being around as a business or publication, it is something of a gray area to me, so please let me know your thoughts on this aspect of things.  Would love someone to comment, who knows Australian copyright law.

Assuming that due to the passage of time, it is OK to post a new layout, I can then upload the Gerbers for anyone who wants to build one of their own.  Scanned copies of the book are easy enough to find online via Mr. Google.
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Pete Locke

Posted: 08:29pm 27 Apr 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

In case anyone doesn't know, most of the old electronics mag's can be found Here Fiarly sure your alarm is in there. A quick search through the ETI section showed one using a 556, but a lot of nostalgia on their site. Back in the day Dick Smith had a kitset car alarm that looked for sudden voltage drop on the battery line to trigger the unit.
Cheers
Pete'.
Edited 2024-04-28 06:31 by Pete Locke

halfproduce

Posted: 07:27am 06 May 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

geometry dash world said  In case anyone doesn't know, most of the old electronics mag's can be found Here Fiarly sure your alarm is in there. A quick search through the ETI section showed one using a 556, but a lot of nostalgia on their site. Back in the day Dick Smith had a kitset car alarm that looked for sudden voltage drop on the battery line to trigger the unit.
Cheers
Pete'.

Thank you for your suggestion. Many of the magazines here bring me many memories.
Edited 2024-05-07 19:21 by halfproduce

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024