Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 06:28 02 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : 1996 SLA bat. ex scrap yard

domwild
Guru

Posted: 07:16am 16 Apr 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi,

This SLA batt. showed 11.7V but has a 1996 sticker on it. Is it worthwhile to offer some money for it at the scrap yard? Read on this forum or Fieldlines, that a flooded lead-acid batt. with 10.5V in it can still be resurrected.

What about other SLAs in the yard with 4.5V or slightly higher voltage readings???

Thanks.

Taxation as a means of achieving prosperity is like a man standing inside a bucket trying to lift himself up.

Winston Churchill

Bernie the Bolt

Posted: 07:54pm 30 Apr 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Dom, I have no experience with sealed lead acid, but anything over 10.5 v can be partly or fully restored with a pulser, but be warned it can take several months on trickle charge with pulser (desulphater) to do this. I have had some success with ex camper van batteries. but I do not bother with anything that reads less than 10.5 volts initially. (I think this indicates a shorted cell) Sometimes a battery you have good hopes for will suddenly lose voltage whilst undergoing desulphation - again this is due to a shorted cell, this is caused by dendrites (wahtever they are) but I understand a pulser based on the pic log can avoid this (it shorts the battery in ms pulses, wich prevents the dendrite build up)The pulser I use is from enquiries@courtiestown.co.uk
Bernie the Bolt

I'd rather be sailing!

domwild
Guru

Posted: 06:40am 02 May 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks, Bernie for that. Have followed the desulphator page, which now has moved. Interesting stuff!

Taxation as a means of achieving prosperity is like a man standing inside a bucket trying to lift himself up.

Winston Churchill

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024