Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 06:31 02 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : USB Oscilloscope Selection

sPuDd

Posted: 09:09am 12 May 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

G'day all,

I have a 20Mhz dual channel CRO that's now 17 years old. I’ve been wanting to buy a USB scope for some time. Recently I borrowed a friends Pico Scope 5204 USB scope to play with, and wasn't all that impressed.

Poking around a buck psu was frustrating, as the sync was just dumb as a post. Also the voltage scaling is terrible. A 2Vp-p signal can be shown as 20Vp-p on some scales... makes no sense.

I'm considering this unit from Syscomp but don't know if it will be any better.

As much as I love technology, I'm concerned about fighting software to display even the most basic waveforms.

What USB scope/s do you use, and is there any tips, brands, lessons anyone can pass down to me?

Taa,

sPuDd..

It should work ...in theory

GWatPE

Posted: 09:54am 12 May 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi sPuDd,

This is the same brand as the unit I have. Mine is just the 2 channel DSO. I use Windows screen capture [alt PrtScr] rather than the programs screen capture. The units don't have opto coupled inputs and only 80VDC limits, so take care with AC stuff.

Gordon.

become more energy aware

sPuDd

Posted: 11:06am 12 May 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

G'day Gordon,

I like the idea of a function generator, quite a handy option. I think I'll miss the 600Vpeak rating of the CRO. I might even have to buy a x100 probe for PSU work. Might have to make my own with a high voltage clamp built in...

Compared to a CRO, these things seem to have all the bells and whistles, but lack real smarts. Maybe I should keep the old girl working and use the USB scope for capturing the odd image for forums etc...

How does your unit behave with triggering etc?
Can it lock on to each new signal easy enough? Or do you have to beat it around the head for 15mins to see something a CRO would get in 5 seconds?

I also borrowed a Fluke (190 series I think) LCD scope meter. It seemed to be more like a regular CRO, and had the advantage of capture. Also was opto coupled including the data port. Hmmmm maybe I should look at Scope Meters instead, with the USB as a side option to the hardware device.

sPuDd..

GWatPE

Posted: 11:10pm 12 May 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi sPuDd,

On the Syscomp units, the Gnd of the USB is connected to the probe Gnd, so care is required with live chassis systems measurements.

If you can afford a Fluke, go fo it.

Gordon.

become more energy aware

sPuDd

Posted: 11:30pm 12 May 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yeah, the Picoscope is the same. I suspect all the USB units have that problem. Its interesting to note that all ATX PSUs in PCs have their 0V ground connected to electrical earth. Which is fine for most things.

What is the Syscomp like with triggering etc?

sPuDd..

GWatPE

Posted: 09:58pm 13 May 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

There is usual + & - edge, and level. Not quite as good as my CRO. I had borrowed a Fluke unit, many thousands of $, but there were triggering issues with it as well.

Gordon.

become more energy aware

sPuDd

Posted: 11:26pm 13 May 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hmmm, might borrow the Fluke again and see how it performs.

sPuDd..

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024