Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 02:30 02 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Resistive Load

xr40

Posted: 01:29am 25 Jul 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

New to wind and solar but most interested. We would like to use a windmill and solar to power our treatment system, the end use being a resistive load, anodes in water.
Can we run power direct, no regulator, as the output power to the load could float volts and current with no problems.Would this method damage the stator or panels?
If required to be regulated, then running wind and solar in parrallel, would each require independant regulators?
Would they also each require a diode to stop the current running back?
These questions are based on dc current 20 amps max. Edited by xr40 2009-07-26

davef
Guru

Posted: 03:48am 25 Jul 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

If you don't care how much current will flow through your resistive loads then you don't need regulation.

If you are trying to maintain a fixed voltage across these loads, or fixed current . . . then some kind of "conditioning" or regulation is required.

If you have a rectifier on your wind plant to provide DC a blocking diode is not required to stop current going into the wind plant when there is no output. If it is DC generator then you would need a diode.

What happens when you apply an external DC voltage to a PV panel? I think the answer is nothing. I have a small 2Watt 12V panel here in a dimly lit room and it reads >1000K Ohms, so it is going to suck no current at 12Volts. However, it has a maximum system voltage rating of 50Volts, at which point does something break?
This is an amorphous panel. I recall the crystalline panels having higher system breakdown voltages.

Here is a link to blocking diodes or bypass diodes that may be helpful

here

The issue here is how much power does the panel suck from the battery (which you don't have!)at night or in cloudy conditions, compared to how much power you lose when amps of current flow through a diode with 0.6Volts dropped across it.

Good luck

xr40

Posted: 07:34am 25 Jul 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

davef:
Many thanks for the information. I do not plan incorporating a battery storage bank only 12 volt battery to control timer, relays.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024