Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 23:17 05 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : super picaxe logger

Page 2 of 2    
Downwind

Guru

Posted: 03:09am 18 Dec 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Gordon,

Thanks for the link to the data sheet, Yet to get to have a look.

I recently had a chat with a guy who is using the Xbee transmitters for controlling fireworks displays and he rates them very high for good data control over distance.
As you proberly know they are tranceivers and can be polled making them ideal for this sort of application.
He gets them from the states for around $40.00 each.
This makes a system like your pricy quickly but as you said the reliability of data is paramount.

Your birds nest of wires makes me think of looking at a main telephone junction box in India. It was the biggest mess you could imagin. What looked to be a 1000+ wires all woven into a nest of kayos. Its a wonder they can actually ring out to pester us in the first place.

Enjoy your Xmas break as it sound like the brain can do with some time out and i look forward to see your progress developments in the new year.

Pete.
Sometimes it just works

GWatPE

Posted: 11:34am 18 Dec 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Pete,

I have looked at the current arrangement I have made, with the picaxe28X2 with the additional picaxe08M units. The control logic I have used on the 28X2 will allow control of up to 9 separate micro's. I will replace the 08M units with 14M units. This will allow direct access to a max of 63 channels. This will include up to 45 x 10bit ADC channels, and up to 18 digital channels. The 28X2 has only 24 word variable registers, so 63 channels/variables will require a different approach. I have to send a single string to the PC. The 28X2 has a 255byte scratchpad, so it may be best to build a data array, with all the XML codes and variables there, and then transmit this when the string is ready. This is doable with minimal processor overhead. I may still need to work within some 28X2 limitations.

Now that the isolation problems are gone, I can look at the best micro combinations. The 14M has 5 ADC's, and 2 digital inputs, and with multiple units, this will give more than enough flexibility with my logging. May get away with a simpler system again. The database to collate all the data may not be needed.

If I link piece all the components, this will end up a very modular system. The fully isolated inputs will eliminate a lot of the ground loop problems with recording many channels on multiple battery and AC systems.

The intention is for very simple coding in the external modules. This will be similar to the piclog, picaxe coding, but a few more channels per module. A simple loop, that waits for a read command and then transmits the data. This will not be a free running COMM system, but controlled by a master, with slave units. I use a polled COMMs with the modules and this has reduced the error rate between the master and slaves. The system requires good input filtering of the ADC inputs only. The PC COMMS are still not perfect, but at least there is spare processor power to do something about the data, with averaging and complex validation of the data before final logging.

Have to write some of the finer points down for next year. I am considering having PCB's or full boards made. This system will use a 2wire COMM and power rails between modules. I am looking at a universal logging system. Maybe <A1> to <Z2> as XML identifiers, giving 52 channels. The idea is to allow logging without needing to worry about what channel is what, until later. Gain and OFFset are all that should be required for calibration. The idea is to have all the data stored in 1 file, and then use different display selections to access required data in the file.

I have tried the separate logging approach and now that I have working systems, I see a better arrangement with logging just RAW data, and selecting what to compare. This is working well on 2 of my picaxe loggers, and this is similar to my weather station. The main task is to get a solid data file to work from. I intend to have user selectable channel names and colours, and a user channel calibration page. The channels to be looked at or graphed will be selectable, as will be the computed data like power, etc. I will be looking at a separate page with max and min values. The graph fixed limits will be selectable. I intend to have unidirectional current measurements, and if a battery is involved, then net current to or from the battery will be derived. This will simplify the zeroing aspects, with only storage of positive data values.

This is looking like a system that will satisfy my needs as well as others.

Gordon.

become more energy aware

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 02:56pm 18 Dec 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Gordon

With so much data being input i take it you are becoming short on variables and even faster if you have to use W registers
Not sure on the eeprom capacity of the 28x2 but why not write data to the eeprom and then you can use a variable several times in program.
But!Then it gets tricky reading the eeprom and sending the data in one string as you wish to do.
Always a catch!

Why do you need to send the data in one string?

The whole polling of modules/slaves sounds like a I2C system and a protocol made for the application. Only problem is tha 08M (slave) wont work with I2C.
I know i have mentioned I2C in the past several times but think it is a protocol you are trying to create or use anyways. (Not to say there is not more ways to do it. im sure you have a plan)

When you say a 2 wire data system, is that a 2 wire data bus that is common to all slaves. (data, clock and 5+, Gnd )

How and from where do you log your time stamp.

I find it comical that we create things and make them simpler afterwards.( kinda backwards) I do it a lot to.
Thats development i kid myself.

Pete.

Sometimes it just works

GWatPE

Posted: 10:23pm 18 Dec 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Pete,

the time stamp is generated when the valid data is stored. Usually within 2sec of data capture. This is the PC clock reference.

Gordon.
become more energy aware

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 04:26am 19 Dec 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ok that makes it easy when you store data direct to pc.
If storing it externally then a RTC is needtd to give each data block a time stamp meaning more data to be logged.
Not hard but just another bit to be added.

Pete.
Sometimes it just works

Page 2 of 2    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024