Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 19:50 29 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : USB development board

vasi

Guru

Posted: 04:35pm 06 Sep 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi guys,

I built a board with PIC18F2550, a 28 pin microcontroller, to use it for our projects, and using USB instead of serial communication.

I searched for simple solutions - simple code, simple hardware.

I named this board FreeJALduino because is derived from Freeduino design and because initially I wanted to use JAL language. You can rename it what ever you want and use it without restrictions, commercial or not.

This board can be used for windmill controllers/loggers, a USB CNC Router, weather stations, and anything else we need.

We can program it with JAL or Swordfish Basic using USB-CDC protocol (which will permit using the already developed software of Glenn and Gordon using a virtual serial port on USB) or with Arduino language, using Pinguino IDE of Jean-Pierre Mandon.
In time, I will provide tutorials for all three variants and I will port the controller/logger existing software for it. I will not bother you with Linux, only for somebody wanting this. Otherwise, only Windows.

This board can be used for learning/testing purposes, but also for production. Of course, the final hardware (after testing) can be redesigned for the target application.

This board will require a USB bootloader to be burned first.

Here is a little movie with the first test of the board. And if you scroll this page, you will see how daughter boards (specific application boards) can be attached to the main board. Or you can simply use it with a breadboard.

Why a USB development board? Because the old hardware can't be easily replaced when it crash. And you know, the modern computers come without serial and parallel ports.

If 18F2550 is not enough, then look here.

Edited by vasi 2009-09-29
Hobbit name: Togo Toadfoot of Frogmorton
Elvish name: Mablung Miriel
Beyound Arduino Lang

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 11:32am 07 Sep 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Some one's been busy

You have some interesting stuff on your site now Vasi, can I link to it from TheBackSheds links page? Is this the home page address.... http://sites.google.com/site/funlw65/

Mind you, the picture on KiwiJohn on the front page might scare a few people away.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 12:49pm 07 Sep 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Actually there are many forum members with web sites worth linking to. I think a section devoted to member sites might be a better idea, let me think on it for a few days.
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 11:04am 14 Sep 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Nice work Vasi,
Your boards look very neat.
Have you tried using posi-resist pcb with UV light to expose the board with.
I have used both methods and much prefer the UV light method.
If you intend on doing more than one board the UV is far easies and quicker.

Then again, if it works for you than why change.

I found sign writers have large rolls of the glossy backed transfer/sticker paper just being discarded, after the vinal lettering has been cut and removed.
Just ask and you will get heaps for free.
It works well although much thicker than the A4 sticker backings.
Sometimes it just works

vasi

Guru

Posted: 12:08pm 14 Sep 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Downwind, thank you!

[quote]Have you tried using posi-resist pcb with UV light to expose the board with.
I have used both methods and much prefer the UV light method.
If you intend on doing more than one board the UV is far easies and quicker.
[/quote]
I was tempted to use this method for me but I can't afford it. My long term target is this. I will use it also as a little source of financial gain.

[quote]I found sign writers have large rolls of the glossy backed transfer/sticker paper just being discarded, after the vinal lettering has been cut and removed.
Just ask and you will get heaps for free.
It works well although much thicker than the A4 sticker backings.[/quote]
You had to send this one on private. Now I have no chance to find something

VasiEdited by vasi 2009-09-16
Beyound Arduino Lang

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 12:20pm 14 Sep 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Vasi,
What do you mean by ""You had to send this one on private. Now I have no chance to find something ""

How do i send something private on this forum?????

Downwind

Sometimes it just works

vasi

Guru

Posted: 02:35pm 14 Sep 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Oops! I didn't observed that you don't have this option anymore...
Beyound Arduino Lang

vasi

Guru

Posted: 12:35pm 02 Oct 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Gizmo said  Is this the home page address.... http://sites.google.com/site/funlw65/

Yes, is the home page.

I put two new pages on Tutorials section to get started with the board and JAL.

- Description and how to prepare the board
- How to set the IDE and how to upload JAL programs

On the second page is a little demo application. Next, I want to be a logger which use USB cable for data transmission.
Beyound Arduino Lang

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024