Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 00:38 20 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Xantrex Charge Controller

ozetrade

Posted: 03:21am 06 Jun 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello Again,

I was wondering if someone knew anything about the Xantrex C40 Charge Controller - specifically whether solar and wind devices could be attached at the same time - and what mode to run it in.

Background:
I've purchased 6x 12v 52Amp Hawker 6TJ9 AGM batteries (2nd hand - 4yr old)which I plan to mount in parallel(2 separate banks for weight distribution) in my c/van. I've also built a small 1.2m x 1m VAWT that drives a 200v DC treadmill motor.(still in progress because I'm trying to make it as a quick assemble kit)

The above to replace my single 12v 120amp SLR, which I was charging with a 12watt monocrystaline solar panel and a small 5amp reg.

I'd like to keep the solar panel in use within the new system.

Thanks,
Greg

Greg
Just North of Brisbane in Redcliffe
OZeTrade.net

RossW
Guru

Posted: 08:00am 06 Jun 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Not sure about that specific controller, I use the Plasmatronics PL20 myself, and asked them the same question you did.

I guess most of the controller are fairly similar, so their reply may be relevant.

In short, the PV goes through a series type regulator, so it can limit the current, and control the voltage across your batteries.

The Wind turbine goes straight to the batteries, and the "shunt" part of the regulator operates independantly. If the battery voltage gets too high (as would happen if the batteries are fully charged and you still have power comming in from the windgen) the regulator simply switches on some shunt load. (depending on the controller, it will either PWM this, or just operate a relay to turn on or off a suitable dump load).

Crude, but probably effective.

ozetrade

Posted: 11:55pm 06 Jun 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Ross,

There are a tonne of charge regulators/controllers out there - most referred to as Solar/PV Charge Controllers. I was looking at the Xantrex model because they specically state they can be used for solar/wind/hydro.

I see the suppliers of the Plasmatronic PL range provide detailed instructions for a solar/wind/hydro setup with their units. The following is an image extract from one of their technical docs.

PL Regulators and Wind - Sheet 1
How to use PL regulators for solar in hybrid wind and solar systems.

PL Regulators and Wind - Sheet 2
For use when the max current on the wind generator is higher than the max load current on the PL regulator.

Can anyone advise of other Solar/PV Charge Controllers that I might be able to use this way?

Thanks
Greg
Greg
OZeTrade.net

Bryan1

Guru

Posted: 03:10am 07 Jun 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hiya Greg,
           Eh mate have you looked at the shunt regulator kit from Oatleys. It can easily be changed to suit different voltages and the kit comes as either 12 or 24 volts with a simple link. It's rated at 250 watts but by installing heatsinks on the mosfets and driving a suitable dump load it can handle more than 250 watts. I've set my up and it maintains my nife battery setup at 16 volts and all I did was change a few resistors. If you can use a soldering iron it's a cheap way of setting up a shunt regulator.

hope this helps Bryan

ozetrade

Posted: 05:54am 07 Jun 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Ryan,

Yes I have one of the Oatley regs. The problem I have is that the life of the AGM batteries is greatly reduced if charge voltages over 14.1v are used. The Oatley dumps raw voltage into the batteries - which is OK for wets and SLA's because they're self regulating.

I'd have to regulate the voltage before it hit the batteries - unfortunely I'm not savy enough to do that.
Greg
OZeTrade.net

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024