Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 19:19 19 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : How to make the step motor keep running

tctdavid

Posted: 03:41pm 14 Jun 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I was playing with some junk printer's step motor and trying to make it keeping rotate.And I find out the minimill projects on this website and built the mill with the electric charge successfully
I wonder if I put a dc power at the battery charge end will the step motor running,I try and it seemed things didn't work that way.
can anyone give me a help,i try to use the motor as a drill, thanks and sorry for this irrelevant topics

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 09:31pm 14 Jun 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Not that simple I'm afraid. Steppers need timed pulses of current to rotate. They are designed to "step" with each pulse.

Do a google search for "stepper motor driver" to find more information.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

tctdavid

Posted: 02:19am 15 Jun 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

thanks for you reply
I measure the output voltage by rotate the motor only by hand it came out about 20 volts and more
at the minimill projects you wrote "If you intend to run voltage sensitive devices from the windmill output, I would recommend a 5 watt zener across the output"
for I am just a do-er(you tell I do) ,can you tell me how the 5 watt zener connect across the output.
I plan to connect the output direct to a led light just for when wind comes it turn on and wind stop it goes off.
the place over here is very easy to rain and it's wet so I thinks the battery out door will become rusty very soon
thanks for the help and by the way I think here is the best D.I.Y. website I ever knew ,I really made something on my own with those junk wy wife told me to throw away,
may I ask one more question ,can the spindle motor of hard disk drive also act as a the motor for the windmillEdited by tctdavid 2006-06-16

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 05:46am 18 Jun 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi david

The zener isn't needed for your LED's. Have a look the this topic http://www.thebackshed.com/windmill/forum1/forum_posts.asp?T ID=160&PN=3 where someone else wanted to connect LED's to a stepper, that should point you in the right direction.

Yeah you can use a hard drive spindle motor as a little generator too. Spindle motors are usually have 3 wires, they are a 3 phase generator, so have a look around the forum and web site on 3 phase rectifiers.

Hope that helps

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

tctdavid

Posted: 03:26pm 19 Jun 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

thanks glenn,I just cut a led form floppy disk and connected to the charged end than it's on
I searched the artiles here and found I can use 3 bridge retifiers to get the DC output but the hard disk spindle motor has 4 points to lead os it seemed to wire as star and I should change it into a delta wiring,am I right?

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024