Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 22:13 05 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Benefits of Remote Access logging

GWatPE

Posted: 12:45pm 17 Nov 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have many logging applications running on a PC that is outside the house.

When you write software, you usually need to to test it regularly to get the bugs out. The connections to the real world that is being monitored are not on the favourite PC with the big screen, keyboard and mouse, but out in the heat, or cold.

I had been working on the program in the comfort of the house and copying the latest revision to a trusty memory stick, then uploading to the logging PC outside and then checking progress with the hardware. I can assure readers that this becomes tedious with increasing program complexity.

I set up the network for remote viewing of the data, and I have now found that it is possible to transfer files easily through the shared folder system on the network. I can now just upload the revision directly to the shared folder and then log into the remote computer and stop the application, overwrite the file and then run again. I can immediately check the program operation with a real data stream, as well as historical data, from the main PC.

Computers are just getting too convenient. Will need to look at an alternative exercise reigime now to replace the trips in and outside with the memory stick.

How do others go about the development and testing of the computer stuff they dabble in to monitor their RE?

Gordon.

become more energy aware

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024