Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 00:21 06 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : KWH Hours Meters

JimBo911

Posted: 08:03pm 02 Dec 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Question
Does any one know if I can use a conventional/ residential
KWH meter to record the KWH on my F&P mill. I am wired for delta.
I do have a meter box/socket. The wiring schematic says that it will accept a four wire delta set up.
The socket/meter box has a total of six (main) connections three for the feed and three for the exit connections.
Thanks

Jim

GWatPE

Posted: 09:49pm 02 Dec 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Jim,

optimum conditions for these meters is 240VAC and 50Hz, with varying current only. I douubt the calibration would extend from 5-200Hz for frequency, or 10-40VAC. You would need to confirm with a second accurate kWhr meter, that worked across these ranges.

My gut says poorly.

Gordon.

become more energy aware

JimBo911

Posted: 03:22pm 03 Dec 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Gordon

I spoke to an electrician friend of mine and he also thought that the match would not be a good one.

At sometime in the future I want to apply for reimbursement funds from the state for my mill project. I have had dealings with these folks before they are going to want proof of KWH produced. As you know I am a DIY type of guy and they don't giving money to DIY people.

Thanks again
Jim

Don B

Posted: 09:14am 06 Dec 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Jimbo

I think that you will find that the only way that you will get any reimbursement for KWH produced at home is when you have an approved grid inverter and solar panels installed by someone licensed and approved to do it.

There is an upside, in that I think that you can get reimbursed by the Government for some, if not most, of your costs.

Once you have an "approved" scheme, the KWH meter used for reimbursement will be the one that your supply authority has provided, and it will definitely only be working on 230V, 50 cycles from the output of your inverter (less the power used by your house).

It is possible to monitor the KWH produced by your mill, but that would require some special electronics which would stretch all but a very experienced DIY electronics buff.

As a lower level, it is possible to get a ball park indication by measuring the current in one phase of your mill, and the voltage to neutral (if you can access it), and multiplying the two figures together (and then by 3 to account for the other two phases.

The phase-phase voltage could also be used for this, but you would need to divide this reading by 1.732.

This gives you the instantaneous energy in Watts (divided by 1000 equals kiloWatts). The bugger is in taking enough readings in an hour and somehow averaging them to get any sort of sensible KWH indication.

Regards
Don B

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 03:00pm 06 Dec 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Errr, Don B, Jimbo is in the states and they dont have the same rebates as us as far as i am aware.

Pete.
Sometimes it just works

Don B

Posted: 11:53am 07 Dec 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Pete, I had not picked up on Jimbo's US address. Sorry if I raised your hopes about a Government subsidy Jimbo.

Mind you, I have heard America described as the land of the free, so maybe?????
Don B

JimBo911

Posted: 02:16pm 07 Dec 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Don
Thanks for you info and concern.
Fact is it's not much different here then it is there. I know for PV gird tie it's just as you say.

The state of Illinois (where I live)is also the same. Illinois just came out with new small wind incentives. I know the odds are against me but I will give it a try.
The Federal government is much less stringent then the state and I have been able to get very nice tax breaks from the fed. Once I tell the state that the mill is made by F&P there gona say (WHAT, by WHO, never heard of them before )

Thanks again.
Jim

JimBo911

Posted: 02:23pm 07 Dec 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Don
Almost forgot
America, land of the free is not what most (some)people would call free. Things have been changing a lot over here. The Bush administration made sure that the VERY rich got a hell lot richer at our expense. It's a lot tougher then it use to be that's one of the reason I go with Solar etc. That's my view.
Jim

KarlJ

Guru

Posted: 12:06pm 09 Dec 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Agreed
to-do list.
-RE system large enough to be self sufficient
-Grow a garden big enough to be self sufficient
-have enough space to grow chickens to lay eggs
-have enough space to have chickens to eat
-have enough space to grow sheep for wool
-have enough space to grow sheep for dinner
-have enough space to grow cows for milk
-have enough space to grow cows for meat
-have a biodiesel system large enough for fuel
-grow enough grapes for a few wines
-have a distillery to make moonshine
-make my own beer
-have hot water for showers
-have enough water and septic system to no-longer have to pay for water and disposal of sewage

just to name a few a not necessarily in this order

then approaching freedom......
Luck favours the well prepared

JimBo911

Posted: 04:07pm 09 Dec 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Karl

I could not agree with you more that's the MAIN reason I do wind and solar.

Big heavy winds today, snow, ice. Top speed 35.5 mph. The mill is cranking like crazy. Looks like in need to reduce the weight on tail hopefully she will survive.
I have been able to run the TV, computer, lights and boiler etc.
HANG in there SWEETHEART.
Jim

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024