Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 05:33 06 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Gizmo’s controller

Shelly

Posted: 10:18pm 21 Dec 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi all, this is my first post so please excuse any mistakes.
I want to build this controller but unfortunately I'm "mentally disabled" as far as electronics is concerned! I have been looking for parts and am unable to find somewhere where I can buy all from a single source. Any suggestions? Out of interest, the condensers I've seen don't always have the same voltage as suggested. So long as the voltage is higher than recommended, is this OK? I have some solid state switches, these can be used instead of a relay? The questions are somewhat basic but I've got to start learning sometime!
Thanks

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 01:46am 22 Dec 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Shelly,

I think its good you are prepared to have a go, nothing ventured nothing learnt.

Which controller are you reffering to?

I doubt that you are "mentally disabled" just
electronicly challanged.
As for the capacitors (condensers as you call them) Yes if the voltage is equal or greater you will be fine.

I should ask what operating voltage are you working with?

As for where to buy the components from. Well that will depend on which controller you are building.
You being located in Spain this might be better answered by other members closer to your part of the world.

What are the SS switches you have, maybe a part number.

Pete.
Sometimes it just works

Shelly

Posted: 05:59pm 22 Dec 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Pete,
Thanks for the reply. Yes I think "challenged" is better than "disabled"! The post was written late last night & I was very tired. A bit more info. I live off grid and have solar panels powering a 12v. 1.5kw. inverter. The battery bank has a capacity of 1500 amp hrs. I also have a second bank of batteries, gel, 10x 6v 320 amp hrs powering another 1.5kw inverter, this time with a Chinese pedigree. This is to be used for powering computers and is independent of the other battery bank. They are going to be charged by separate solar panels.
Back to the wind generator!
I have a ARI 750 watt 12v gen which functions very well. The problem is that the controllers don't! The original burnt out in a not very high wind and broke the blades, the second, this afternoon in a sudden squall. The blades are ok and the controller let an awful lot of smoke escape. Before I shorted it, it was pushing out 110 amps at 17.3 volts. About 2kw? I was looking at Gizmo's circuit last night and thought it might be a good project and also might survive the high amperage that occurs from time to time. This part of the world is rather bare in electronic suppliers. I tried Maplin last night, got everything ordered except the opamp and voltage regulator. Went to another supplier and was faced with about 10 different opamps of the same number but I suppose with different characteristics. (Problem- lack of knowledge) With the cost of postage I prefer to buy from one source if at all possible.
The SS switches are again Chinese, make Mager #mgr-1 dd220d40. Bought from Asia Engineer on ebay. Looking now it states the switched current is 24 -240 v so I hope it works with 12v. I'll do a trial run first.
A bit long winded but I hope clear.
Brian

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 08:15am 23 Dec 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Brian,

With the ss switches-- switch current 24-240v sounds very Chinese to me?? current in volts?????????
I am wondering if they are ac switches, as there is ac & dc ones and you need dc switches.

With the opamp if you choose a different one just make sure it will operate from a single power supply. Some require a plus (+) voltage and a minus (-) voltage this is not the same as a battery +/-.
With a quick check of a data sheet for the opamp of interest it will normally say in the first few lines in the discription if it will operate from a single supply.

If this makes no sense to you than post the opamp part number and i or someone will check for you.

Pete.
Sometimes it just works

Shelly

Posted: 10:15pm 23 Dec 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Pete,
I've had a good look at the SS switch and it says 24 - 240 VDC, so I presume they know, the Chinese, the difference between AC & DC. As far as the human race is concerned the difference now is a little confused! Have a look at Asia Engineer's ebay shop. He is one of the best sites I've come across.Any way I've found a supplier who can send me everything and hopefully it will arrive here. I've ordered double or more, in case!!!! The extra will come in useful for something. All I need now is a 5v - 9v inverter. I'll raid the local rubbish dump. I'll keep you up to date on progress.
Happy Christmas and a good New Year. We'll talk soon.
Brian.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024