Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 19:08 05 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Update to the Piclog on its way

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 12:05am 06 Jan 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

OK, I'm living in a rental property, and dont have a windmill or workshop to keep me busy untill my old place is sold and I find somewhere new to live.

So, I do have my PC set up, time to revisit old software projects. Piclog is the first one to look at.

There are two area's I want to change in the Piclog. First up, the running display. Analogue looking meters to complement the digital display, either bar graphs or needle style, user selectable. And I want to improve the html page parser. Not many people know this but the Piclog can generate a basic html web page with the current readings, I want to improve this and add some data pushing. This means the Piclog could be located remotely, and so long as there is a internet feed, it can push its logging data to a remote server. This was suggested to me some time ago and its time to implement it.

Apart from that, are there any other suggestions for improving the PicLog software. I think the serial data transfer is working OK, though I know Gordon did some work to improve it.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

GWatPE

Posted: 06:21am 06 Jan 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Gizmo,

the analogue type displays would be good, but you get used to digital, and calibration logical with a multimeter. I think bar graphs would be the GO. My latest revision was to split my loggers functions into a logger and a separate viewer. I have found that when I view the data on a remote computer, that it is better to not have COMM's in the viewing program. Once the files are logged, then viewing can be done on any PC. The viewer can reside with the data for simplicity.

The internet feed? Static IP and port forwarding etc? I hope to get remote desktop to do this sort of thing one day.

On the subject of SER COMM's. I have many programs running on my logging computer. Some use USB adapters, and others USB-SER adapters and others SER COMMS. The most reliable are USB. Next is SER COMMS. USB-SER adapters are least reliable. All seem to work best without competition.

There is not much memory left in a picaxe08M for much more complicated COMMS.

I have my picaxe 14M version, that Maxes out the registers and program.

I am not sure if backward compatibility needs to be considered. Do you need to discuss the file click to display and the zoom within zoom that I use. I found the auto zooming in the graph window distorts the data. I use a fixed scaling default for day to day comparisons, and allow auto scaling of zoomed portions of the graph window.

I am sure this is early days, so I will be available if you wish to discuss aspects.

Gordon.

become more energy aware

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024